Timothy Piazza

Timothy Piazza

A fundraiser held by the Timothy J. Piazza Memorial Foundation in memory of the late Penn State sophomore raised $150,000 earlier this week.

The money was raised during a golf outing and auction on Tuesday at Fiddler's Elbow Country Club in Hunterdon County, N.J.

“The incredible response is a reflection of the magnetic, caring personality that was our son, and his spirit now infuses the work of the foundation,” Jim and Evelyn Piazza said in a statement, as reported by Philly.com. “We are deeply thankful to the event sponsors, dozens of volunteers, hundreds who participated, either by golfing, attending the dinner, and/or purchasing a wide array of donated auction items. It was an amazing team effort and planning has already started for next year.”

RELATED: Detective: Penn State football's head athletic trainer believed to have 'directed' former Beta Theta Pi brothers to delete evidence

Piazza died Feb. 4 at Hershey Medical Center following several falls at a Beta Theta Pi pledging event two nights earlier.

Eighteen former Beta Theta Pi members were charged in May for their alleged roles in Piazza's death. A preliminary hearing will resume Aug. 30 to determine whether the case will go to trial.

"We want something good out of the the tragedy," said Virginia Alling, a friend of the Piazza family and organizer of the event and Facebook page, on May 11 when the golf outing was first announced.

The foundation will also provide scholarships to Piazza's high school, Hunterdon Central Regional. Students who demonstrate Piazza's values of inclusivity, integrity and desire to help children will benefit from the scholarship, Alling said in May.

Visit the Timothy J. Memorial Foundation here.