Barstool president indicates he will give $20K to THON for debate with Penn State communications dean

Campus News Graphic

Barstool President Dave Portnoy challenged Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications Dean Marie Hardin to a debate on Sept. 23 — and indicated if she accepts, he'll donate $20,000 to THON.

Monday night on Tucker Carlson's Fox News show, Portnoy criticized Hardin for her comments about Barstool Sports in an NBC story, and said he wants to debate her about gender roles in sports media.

He has continued to push for the debate on social media since Monday's interview. On Sept. 24 on Barstool Radio, he indicated he will donate money to THON if Hardin agrees to the debate.

Hardin criticized Barstool Sports in an interview with NBC News, in which she said Barstool promotes sexism and toxic masculinity. The article, published on Sept. 21, focused on Barstool Sports and the concept of "traditional masculinity" in sports culture.

The Daily Collegian reached out to Hardin for comment on Tuesday, but has yet to receive a response.

However, in a statement provided to the Collegian on Thursday, Penn State spokesman Wyatt DuBois said Hardin's quotes need to be "considered within the context of the story."

"[Hardin] is commenting specifically on how a media outlet 'reflects and reinforces' the cultural values of society," DuBois said. "Her remarks stand for themselves and Dean Hardin stands by them."