The Pennsylvania Senate State Government Committee unanimously passed legislation Tuesday to reform the Penn State Board of Trustees.

Senate Bill 1240, the Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees Reorganization Act, sponsored by Sen. John Yudichak, D-Luzerne/Carbon, outlines reforms for the board, specially, reducing the number of voting members.

Currently, the board has 30 voting members, according to the Board of Trustees website. Yudichak's legislation would reduce the number of voting trustees to 23.

Under Yudichak's legislation, the reformed board would be comprised of eight elected alumni trustees, five trustees appointed by the governor, five elected trustees from the agriculture industry and five trustees from business and industry appointed by a trustee committee, according to a release issued by Yudichak's office.

The legislation would also remove the governor, the Penn State president and the secretary of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources from the board.

The secretaries of Education and Agriculture, respectively, would also remain on the board as non-voting members.

Most public and land-grant universities across the country operate with boards of 25 members or less, according to the release.

“Today’s vote was culmination of months of thoughtful deliberation on governance reform at Penn State and helps move the university forward in creating a more effective, more engaged Board of Trustees,” Yudichak said in the release.

The legislation does not mention the possibility of an elected or appointed voting student trustee. Currently, the governor traditionally appoints a student trustee to the board.

Sen. Matt Smith, D-Allegheny/Washington, said the legislation was necessary to ensure transparency and accountability in the reformed board structure, according to the release.

"This is a good start to ensure that Penn State is best serving students," Smith said.

The bill will now move to the full Senate for consideration.

Mary Chuff can be reached at mgc5117@psu.edu. Follow her on Twitter at @Mary_Chuff.