PSiheartU Week Old Main

Students climb the Old Main bell tower for PSiheartU Week sponsored by the Lion Ambassadors and Blue & White Society on Wednesday, April 10, 2019.

Penn State has asked that all students, faculty and staff at University Park minimize their electrical usage on June 20 as the university will undergo a load test.

The one-hour test will evaluate the campus' ability to reduce its electrical load in the case of a national or regional power emergency, according to a press release.

In the statement, the university asked everyone to turn off unnecessary lighting, office equipment, coffee pots, dehumidifiers and air conditioning. Those on campus are also encouraged to unplug phones and other devices not in use.

The Office of Physical Plant will remotely reduce the university's overall electricity load by increasing classroom temperatures by four degrees, topping off water towers, turning off well pumps and powering specific facilities with a generator.

After the test, the university will receive payment proportional to the load drop. The money will be used to fund energy conservation projects, according to the release.

The test stems from an Emergency Demand Response program designed to protect the daily reliability of the grid the campus relies on to prevent blackouts.

The 2018 test reduced the campus's power load by 41%, or about 14 megawatts.