the book look

Books are good for many things. But especially during the end of the semester, life can get a little stressful. Here are five unexpected ways that books can help relieve stress.

Distraction

Yes, everyone knows books take readers to new places. But people don’t realize how important that is when you’re waiting outside a lecture hall for your final exam and don’t want to study anymore but need something to distract you from the gnawing panic in your stomach. Cue the books.

Pick an especially ludicrous one, the more dramatic the better. You’ll be too busy reading to freak out over the formula you can’t quite remember or the fact that your essay may have a typo in the third paragraph.

Teaches you things

If you can’t remember half the stuff you’re supposed to be learning for the test, chances are, there’s a book for that — and not a textbook that will help you fall asleep quicker than it’ll answer your questions. Just google “fiction book about…” and then put in what you’re studying, whether it’s plants, geography, or the guy who invented something you definitely don’t care about.

Trust me, there’s a book for everything. It may feel like avoidance, to read instead of stare at a textbook, but you’ll be able to remember things much more clearly when it’s fictional characters doing the learning, not you. What you learn will (hopefully) be accurate, as that’s the sole job of copy editors in book publishing houses. You’ll be able to take the scenario you read about, and remember it during the test. This is answer X because when character Y did this...

Reading: making learning fun since the days of Johannes Gutenberg.

Fortress

If you’re really that over studying, but cannot read because you’re so sleep deprived you can’t see straight, there is an option: the book fortress.

Yes, you can build yourself an igloo full of books — or at least cover yourself in them, so you will be warm while studying. When building a fortress of books, make a solid foundation out of the knowledge you’ve ignored all year: heavy, immovable books (like textbooks). Continue layering books in a circular pattern, alternating their structure like bricks and gradually tilting them slightly inward until you have the desired amount of separation from other people.

The good news is, you’ll have been so worried about your igloo creation that you won’t have had time to panic, plus, you were still engaging your brain before the test, and if your igloo is good enough, you may become Twitter famous.

The Daily Collegian is not responsible for any collapsed book igloos that may result - don’t look at me like that, I’m clearly no engineering major.

Pillows, when you’re too tired to move

We’ve all been there. You’re too tired to move but have too much to do and absolutely no will to move. So you decide to sleep on your book.

While we don’t condone the destruction of any literature via drooling, we do have some tips, being very tired college students ourselves. 1. Pick a soft book - old, musty paperbacks are softer than the textbook you’ve just opened for the first time. 2. Carefully arrange a few books on top of each other, or pick something huge, like “War and Peace.” This will lessen the impact of your head on the books, and also mean you don’t give yourself neck pains quite as badly, trying to awkwardly bend down to rest your head on the book.

3. Just try not to drool, okay?

Throw the book (gently) across the room

Harming books is bad.

So if you’re really that fed up with whatever novel your professor made you read or the textbook that’s droning on for thirty pages, and you must throw your book across the room, give it the soft landing cushion of a) pillows on your bed or b) the couch cushions / chair back. This will minimize the huge dent in it that will prevent you from getting your money back upon returning it. This will help you get rid of your anger in a productive, non-harmful way (unless you’re the book). Plus, after you manage to lift the 500-page book of boredom, you’ll be too tired for anger.

One last tip: throw with the shoulder, not the wrist.