Crimes and Court

Penn State has placed the Alpha Delta chapter of the Chi Phi fraternity on interim suspension following the death of 17-year-old John "Jack" Schoenig at property allegedly occupied by fraternity members, according to a press release.

Schoenig, of Erie, Pennsylvania, died on Saturday while visiting the off-campus house. The 522 W. College Ave. property is not the fraternity’s official house and the male was not a Penn State student.

State College Police and the University’s Office of Student Conduct are investigating the incident.

Due to the interim suspension, the fraternity is not recognized as a student organization until the investigation’s conclusion. Chi Phi is not allowed to participate, attend or organize any functions, activities or events, and is not allowed to attend any university-wide events as an organization, according to the release.

Schoenig became unconscious and experienced shallow breathing, according to a State College Police Department release. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

In a statement, the Interfraternity Council said it is working with Penn State, the Office of Student Conduct and the North American Interfraternity Conference.

"The university's interim suspension ceases the chapter's membership and privileges within the Interfraternity Council," the statement reads. "The IFC does not take information like this lightly and will act accordingly as we receive more information."

Schoenig was a senior at Cathedral Prep. The Centre County coroner's office said the autopsy has been completed and will be available within six to eight weeks.

Schoenig wore number 11 as a forward for the school's varsity hockey team, according to the roster. 

Cathedral Prep is offering grief counseling services — including therapy dogs — and prayer services, according to Erie News Now.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is urged to contact the State College Police.