GNC construction on new store

Students walk by the old Snappys convenience store which is now in the process of becoming a GNC store.

General Nutrition Center will be replacing the former Snappy’s Convenience Store location on 200 E. College Ave.

GNC is a supplement store that focuses on health and nutrition, Theresa Layton, manager of GNC on 1643 N. Atherton St., said.

“GNC sets the standard in the nutritional supplement industry by demanding truth in labeling, ingredient safety and product potency, all while remaining on the cutting-edge of nutritional science,” according to GNC’s official website.

State College Zoning Officer John Wilson said the borough took a look at the use of the property and saw that the use changed, he said.

“The reason behind why we closed that location was purely a business decision based on the viability of that specific store,” Curtis Harrison, marketing director of Snappy’s, said.

The location closed in September, Harrison added.

Wilson said his job is to make sure any change is within regulation and meets all the zoning requirements. GNC is approved for that use of property in the borough, he said.

“We were only brought into it because we had to approve the change of use,” Wilson said.

Layton said she did not know another GNC was opening, noting the addition was a corporate decision.

Even though Layton does not have a strong opinion on another GNC opening, she feels that there will be no competition between the new location and the location on North Atherton, she said.

“I don’t think it’s going to take one from the other,” she said.

Zoning ordinances are adopted by the borough council, and the borough council’s job is to make sure those ordinances are met, Wilson said.

“GNC will produce a solid amount of business due to all the college kids who work out up here,” Mike D’Avella (freshman-journalism) said.

On the other hand, as a regular customer of Snappy’s on College Avenue, D’Avella said he will miss the store.

To email reporter: jqb5761@psu.edu.

Follow her on Twitter at @_jillbeckman.