Election Day

Centre Country volunteers help students find the right polling booths to vote at the HUB Alumni Hall on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016.

An off-year primary usually means an easy day for election staffers, but this year's numbers led to some excitement at certain polling stations.

Voter turnout by the afternoon exceeded expectations for an off-year election, according to an election judge at the HUB polling station.

Though, a judge at The Municipal Building polling station said the turn out was low.

Around 3 p.m. Tuesday, 26 people showed up to cast their ballots for Mayor, District Attorney and borough council members at the The Municipal Building — the seat of power for the State College government.

It marked a small portion for the 1828 on the rolls.

The HUB polling station had a similar number of voters as 30 showed up by 3:20 p.m. to vote. A marked increase from other off-year elections at the HUB, according to to judge of elections there.

But the HUB received 29 absentee ballots, an unheard of high number, according to the judge of elections at the HUB.

Pennsylvania has closed primary elections, which means voters may only cast ballots for their party.

With so many Democrats running in a traditionally blue borough, the ballots left little to choose from for Republicans, yet some still came out to vote.

Strolling arm-in-arm down Allen Street, Don and Jean Brownly proudly wore their "I voted" stickers over their hearts.

They respect the Democrats for their struggles with so many candidates running for limited positions.

"It's tough to run regardless of party," Jean said.

Local politics usually gets broken down to tangible issues and are less ideologically driven.

Don sees past partisanship for this local election.

"They all try to help in their own way," Don said.