‘Tis the season for steaming pumpkin spice lattes, leaf covered yards and the return of All Hallows’ Eve.

As the time to indulge in frightful stories and sugary treats creeps upon us, here are a few bone-chilling stories for the paranormal fanatics across Centre County.

Egg Hill Church: Spring Mills, Centre County

Through winding gravel roads and thickets of green lays a dilapidated wood church surrounded by battered gravestones. Under the cover of nightfall, the lone church stands decrepitly in the silence of the woods.

Legend has it, the iron rusted gate that lines the property of the historic church entraps the spirits inside its decaying foundation.

Housing dozens of lost souls, the church at Egg Hill was the site of a mass-murder in the early 1900s, where the pastor chained the doors and murdered the entire congregation before killing himself in the bell tower, President of the Penn State Paranormal Research Society club Rachel Moeser (junior-nutritional science), said via email.

Supposedly the weapon, a knife, resides in a tombstone within the graveyard and when removed, a pool of blood is left behind, said Patty Wilson, writer and cofounder of the Ghost Research Foundation.

While the legend has passed through generations of local residents, there is no legitimate proof to back up the legend.

“There's actually no evidence of that ever happening. There's no newspaper reports or a large amount of graves in the cemetery with the same death date which would point towards a mass murder,” Moeser said.

The Stacks- Pattee Library: campus

The endless aisles of dust-covered books hold an eerie silence for students visiting the stacks of Pattee Library. Little do they know, they are maneuvering through the oldest cold case murder in Penn State history.

“Betsy Aardsma was a graduate student who was doing some research over Thanksgiving break in 1969 when she was stabbed and killed. The story goes that she was wearing a red dress so the first people to find her didn't immediately realize that she was stabbed,” Moeser said.

Aardsma’s shriek at the time of the murder can still be heard throughout the stacks, according to student accounts, Wilson said.

Students have also experienced Aardsma following and touching them as well as moving things around the room, she said.

However, Moeser said it’s still an unsolved case.

Schwab Auditorium: campus

When the Schwab Auditorium isn’t hosting performances, concerts and speeches, legend has it, the Penn State building may be accommodating other activities within its Renaissance style interior: a series of unexplained paranormal activity.

Center for the Performing Arts Event Manager Tom Hesketh has experienced multiple occurrences involving apparitions and unexplained activity within the auditorium.

Rumored stories and campus legends have trickled down through the years of three distinct spirits haunting the classic revival auditorium, including the supposed spirit of late Penn State President George Atherton, whose grave resides in front of the building, Hesketh said.

Nearly five years ago, Hesketh and a fellow employee were installing microphones along the balcony of the eerie building.

Hesketh stood below as the employee maneuvered along the ladder, installing the fixtures.

As he looked above at the employee, a shadowy outline appeared. An apparition of the torso of a young boy hung over the ladder, Hesketh said.

This hadn’t been the first contact Hesketh experienced while working in the auditorium.

Almost seven years prior to that occurrence, Hesketh said he had been trimming cables in the attic of the auditorium in the dim light of a late Friday afternoon.

While working on the cables, Hesketh noticed his pliers had been misplaced during his work.

“I felt as if I was being watched,” Hesketh said. “I thought perhaps I kicked them down.”

After descending the attic, Hesketh returned his toolbox to a locked storage locker before calling it a day.

He returned the next day to find the pliers atop the toolbox, locker untouched by other personnel.

Hesketh isn’t the first to experience out of the ordinary phenomena within the quiet corridors of the auditorium and presumably won’t be the last.

“Due to experiences and evidence, we believe that the spirits of Charles Schwab, President Atherton, a janitor and possibly a woman as well haunt the auditorium,” Moeser added.

While no concrete evidence has been obtained from these accusations, the legends of the ghosts of Schwab Auditorium still float through campus today.

Carley Mossbrook can be reached at crm5568@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828. Follow her on Twitter at @CarleyMossbrook.