State College police arrest four in Big Ten Championship post-game riot, cost of damages still pending

• Updated
Police Horses

Police forces block off roads during riots following a Penn State Big Ten Championship at Beaver avenue on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2016.

UPDATE (12/7/16 | 3:05 p.m.)

A fifth person has been identified by police following the riot after Penn State's Big Ten Championship win.

The male identified was hanging from a streetlight and charges are pending, according to police.

After Penn State football’s comeback win in the Big Ten Championship, thousands of students and community members took to E. Beaver Ave. to celebrate.

This led to damage to both public and private property, however the official cost of the damage is not yet know. Police are waiting for Public Works to release the amount.

Police say they will be looking over pictures and videos in order to see the people who were causing the most damage, much like what took place after the riot that formed following the Ohio State upset win.

“We’re in the process of reviewing all the video that is available that’s been sent to us that’s online,” Lt. Keith Robb said. “We’re making stills of suspects that appear to be damaging property.”

State College Police have photos of people rioting on Beaver Avenue on their website. They are using it to identify individuals.

So far, police say they have identified four individuals, and they will be given felony charges. Three of them are Penn State students and the fourth is a 39-year-old individual.

Police say they were far more prepared for this situation than the previous Ohio State riot, requesting resources from state police.

“We called in extra resources from state police and the Centre County law enforcement community too assist us,” Robb said. “State police provided us with 16 horses to help with crowd control.”

The damage included two lampposts, one on Gardner St. and one on Beaver Ave. The individual who dismantled both of these lamppost has been identified by police and is facing charges, Robb said.

Several cars which were parked on E. Beaver Ave. were also damaged, as well as multiple street signs.

According to police, no tear gas or rubber bullets were used to disperse the crowd – just a PA system from a police car, verbal commands, pepper sprays and pepper balls.

Robb described the crowd as overwhelming

“This event we did have time to plan,” Robb said. “We did muster up as much man power as we could from the area. We had a plan in place and the crowd was just overwhelming. We tried to do it with as little force as possible.”

State College Police deployed to the area five minutes prior to the game ending – about 11:40 p.m. and the streets were cleared out and “back to normal” at about 2:40 a.m., according to police.

As previously reported by the Daily Collegian, a Timely Warning was sent out to students stating, “Avoid downtown State College. Crowd on Beaver Ave. is an unlawful disturbance. Leave the area or be subject to arrest.”

In a press conference on Sunday, police said the crowd was larger than the one after Ohio State.

No injuries have been reported so far, and police are encouraging anyone with pictures or video to send them into the State College Police.