Jim Piazza addresses anti-hazing legislation

Jim Piazza addresses the media about the new anti-hazing legislation from Pennsylvania Senator Jake Corman during a press conference during the second Penn State Beta Theta Pi preliminary hearing at the Centre County Courthouse on Friday, March 23, 2018.

The Timothy J. Piazza Anti-hazing Law was passed through the Pennsylvania Senate on April 18.

It will now move onto the PA House of Representatives, where if passed will move to Governor Tom Wolfe to be signed into law.

The Timothy J. Piazza Anti-hazing Law was first introduced on March 23, to “prevent future hazing-related tragedies by addressing prevention, enforcement and transparency,” according to a previous report from the Collegian.

"The Piazza family is gratified to see passage in the Pennsylvania Senate of the Timothy J. Piazza Anti-hazing Law, a model law for the nation, that is based upon the bedrock principles of establishing felony and forfeiture as a penalty for hazing that results in serious bodily injury or death," attorney Tom Kline said in a statement. 

The law, named after Penn State student Timothy Piazza, was created in the aftermath of his death. 

Piazza died on Feb. 4, 2017, after falling down a flight of stairs at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house following a night of alcohol-fueled hazing.

The proposed law has a set of tiers that determine the fitting penalties depending on how serious the hazing committed is ruled. 

Hazing that results in bodily injury can include fines up to $2,500 and imprisonment up to one year. In cases of "serious bodily injury or death," fines include up to $15,000 and imprisonment up to seven years, according to a previous report from the Collegian.