Summer Solstice CA

Last year, over a hundred people visited the Student Farm during the first ever Summer Solstice Celebration.

The days are longer and the nights are shorter — just one of the favored features of summer.

To celebrate the anticipated switch to summer, the Student Farm at Penn State is welcoming the public to its farm for the second year in a row for an evening of enjoyment on June 21 from 6 to 8 p.m. Over 200 people are expected to attend.

The Summer Solstice Celebration will feature fresh food sold by Taste Buds Kitchen, a local food truck, as well as live music from local band, "Hometime."

The food truck does not have to be the only option for food, however, as visitors have the option to pack a picnic. The Student Farm does ask participants to leave pets behind to prevent disturbance of the farm.

During the event, participants can tour the one-acre student farm to check out this year’s crops.

“We have a beautiful harvest growing on the farm right now. Attendees will be able to see Swiss chard, kale, snow peas, spring garlic, cucumbers, green onions and much more,” Christina Crowell, Student Farm communications intern, said.

Crowell (sophomore-journalism) said she also wants those in attendance to know some of the plants being grown will be used to produce natural dyes as part of a Penn State class next fall.

For those that attended the event last year, there is the expectation that the same relaxing atmosphere will be a continued experience.

“The format of this year's event is overall the same as last year,” Leslie Pillen, associate director of farm and food systems, said. “We do have a different local band and local food truck coming this year, so that will be new.”

Jen Rose, who owns a local salon, "J. Rose & Co." will be one of those in attendance along with her children who are five and eight years old.

“I love supporting local events — I hope my kids will enjoy it,” Rose said.

Whether visitors attend the event for the free music or a chance to become one with nature among the crops, the farm wants to assure everyone they will have a good time.

“The overall goal of this event is for people to relax and enjoy being on the Farm,” Crowell said. “We love our community and want to share our harvest and space with as many people as possible. [Myself] and my co-planner of this event, Allyson Ulsh, cannot wait to see our visions of sunshine and good company come alive."