Schreyer Honors College

The morning sun hits Schreyer Honors College on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

The Schreyer Honors College has officially named Lynette Yarger as its inaugural assistant dean for equity and inclusion.

Yarger, who is also an associate professor of information sciences and technology, will begin her new half-time position on Aug. 1.

According to a press release, Yarger will focus on programs and initiatives related to diversity within the college. She will also help create policies that promote equity and inclusion.

"This opportunity provided a forum to look at groups who are typically underrepresented at the Schreyer Honors College but from the mindset of success — students who are among our brightest," Yarger said in the release.

Yarger has an extensive background in Penn State's College of IST. During the 2017-2018 academic year, she served as an administrative fellow in the Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO.

She has received several awards for her work, including the National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award.

Schreyer Honors College Dean Peggy Johnson said the college is "very excited" to have Yarger join the team.

“We look forward to her helping the college foster a more diverse, inclusive and equitable atmosphere for students and staff," Johnson said in the release.