Lil Peep

Almost one year to the date of rapper Lil Peep’s death, the album he was working on before he died, “Come Over When You're Sober, Pt. 2,” was released on Nov. 9. Part one of the album was released on Aug. 15, 2017, exactly two months before he died of an accidental drug overdose.

At 21 years old, Lil Peep, or Gustav Åhr, overdosed on Xanax and fentanyl, halting his upswing from underground SoundCloud artist to a record-producing rapper on tour.

Producer and close friend, Smokeasac, worked on the unfinished album for over a year, along with the help of Peep’s record company First Access Entertainment. Smokeasac tried to keep Peep ’s style and sound alive in the music and keep his wishes for the album in mind.

“Money played absolutely no part in the project. I didn’t work on it for money I worked so hard on it for Gus. My friend and music partner. I’m honored Peep chose me to be his producer. That came with a huge responsibility and I could not let him down. Only he would understand,” Smokeasac said via tweet.

Lil Peep’s mother, Liza Womack, also worked alongside Smokeasac to finish the album and pay tribute to her son.

Lil Peep’s music is difficult to define and categorize. While SoundCloud classifies his music as alternative rock, it feels more like a mix of emo singing and rapping. Because many listeners can’t quite pinpoint what Lil Peep’s music “is” or “isn’t,” it becomes all the more unique.

Lil Peep’s music captures the struggles of love, addiction and depression. Most of his songs are deeply personal to his own life and struggles with addiction and mental illness.

Now that the rapper has died, the lyrics on all 13 of the album’s songs are haunting. He draws predictions about his then-eventual death (“There comes a time everybody meets the same fate/I think I’ma die alone inside my room”) and the repercussions of his drug abuse.

For instance, on “Life Is Beautiful,” Peep sings about downfalls people face in life. He sarcastically ends each phrase with “Isn’t life beautiful?/I think that life is beautiful,” mocking the idea of staying positive through difficult times.

The album’s first track, “Broken Smile (My All),” sticks out as noteworthy, starting off with Peep ’s eerily low voice as the song transitions into a faster beat. Once the chorus arrives, he sings “She was the one with the broken smile… she was the one that was worth my time,” expressing regrets about an ex-lover. He detailed more about wishing he spent more time with her, rather than focusing on his career, fame and drugs.

On the sixth track of the album, “16 Lines,” Peep again talks his struggle with drug abuse. He sings “16 lines of blow and I’m fine” various times in the song, expressing how he often turned to doing drugs like cocaine to cope with life.

Toward the end of the song, one of the most moving parts of the song is when Peep sings “Girl, I know you hear me (Hear me).” The music cuts out and allows his raw voice to be heard as he sings the last “hear me” followed by the repeated chorus.

Lil Peep.jpeg

Lil Peep's album "Come Over When You're Sober, Pt. 2" was released nearly a year after the artist's death.

One of the more controversial songs, “Falling Down” features artist XXXTENTION, who was killed this past June. This bonus track on the album was first released as a single on Sept. 19.

The song takes Peep’s chorus from the original song “Sunlight On Your Skin,” a collaboration with Peep and ILoveMakonnen, which is also a bonus track on “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt 2.” While “Falling Down” was released after both artist’s died, XXXTENTION recorded his part of the song after Peep’s death. This caused a lot of controversy because the two artists were never friends when alive.

Though Lil Peep’s potential and career growth makes itself seen on the album, “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt 2,” permeates the legacy he left behind as a candid artist, touching on realities of drug abuse, mental illness and struggles with fame. Those closest to him made this finishing of Peep’s album possible and respectfully show the message he had hoped to convey in his music.