What is Everyone Listening To?

Jared Dayton (freshman-political science) talks about what he is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

It’s impossible to listen to everything — but various Penn State students shared the tunes that they had playing in their headphones or earbuds in the hopes to help sift through the huge array of music out there.

“We Need Our Army Back” by Hans Zimmer was being streamed by Jared Dayton. It is an orchestral piece from the Dunkirk soundtrack. Hans Zimmer is a very famous composer for the industry, having composed music for famous movies like The Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean and Gladiator.

Dayton (freshman-political science) enjoys streaming movie soundtracks when he reads. “This song isn’t super original, but it fits my purposes,” Dayton said. He gave the song a 7 out of 10.

What is Everyone Listening To?

Michael Hostetter (freshman-biology) discusses what he is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

“Red Roses” by Lil Skies is a rap track that Michael Hostetter was listening to on Spotify. A single released in the middle of last year, it’s the only song that Hostetter (freshman-biology) really likes from Lil Skies.

“It’s a lot different than other songs I listen to, but I like that it has a lot of different beats,” Hostetter said. He scored it an 8 out of 10.

What is Everyone Listening To?

Ally Smith (sophomore-biology) talks about what she is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

“Higher Love” by James Vincent McMorrow is a little slow but enjoyable, according to Ally Smith. It is the only song from the Irish folk singer that Smith listens to on a regular basis, but she’d be open to checking out more from him.

“The chorus is a little repetitive,” Smith (sophomore-biology) said, which for her lowered the song to a good-but-not-great 7 out of 10.

What is Everyone Listening To?

Michael Horn (junior-chemical engineering) talks about what he is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

“I Fall Apart” by Post Malone was described by Michael Horn as “pretty chill.” This rap song was released last October and performed well worldwide.

“For me, louder and faster stuff might be a bit better,” Horn (junior-chemical engineering) said, though he did call it one of Post Malone’s better songs. Horn rated it a solid 8 out of 10 and recommends it to fans of the genre.

What is Everyone Listening To?

Megan Mantler (freshman-public relations) talks about what she is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

“Tennessee Whiskey” by Chris Stapleton is not this famous country’s stars newest work. The song was released back in 2016, and it is a cover of a 1981 classic .

“I don’t really know this guy, but my friend from Tennessee forced me to listen to it,” Megan Mantler said.

To Mantler’s (freshman-public relations) surprise, she finds it a great song. Though she is not a big country, she said that Stapleton has a good voice and it raises the song up to an 8.5 out of 10 and worthy of being saved in her Spotify playlist.

What is Everyone Listening To?

Aliah Walls (freshman-broadcast journalism) laughs at what she is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

“Wonderwall” by Oasis is a bit of a guilty pleasure for Aliah Walls. The 1995 rock song, the most streamed 90s single on Spotify, is good enough to download, according to Walls (freshman-broadcast journalism).

“I listen to everything and have a very diverse music taste,” Walls said, and “Wonderwall” is worthy to have a spot in her library. She gave it a 7 out of 10.

What is Everyone Listening To?

Lina Moscol (freshman-undecided) talks about what she is currently listening to inside the HUB on Wednesday March 20, 2018.

“Island in the Sun” by Weezer is a rock song from 2001, and in the music library of Lina Moscol .

“It’s not my favorite, but I like it,” Moscol (freshman- division of undergraduate studies) said.

She listens to other songs from Weezer and in the rock genre, and enjoyed this particular track enough to rate it 9 out of 10.

Penn State students continue to hunt through the depths of Spotify and their music libraries to find the next great track.