hate you give

The importance of activism and speaking up is on full display in the “The Hate U Give,” — the movie based off of the best-selling novel by Angie Thomas — which is continuing to push for a change in how police brutality is handled in America.

The film, directed by George Tillman Jr., has a generous mix of actors and actresses. Amandla Stenberg plays the protagonist, Starr Carter, who is the voice and heartbeat of the entire movie. The film also includes supporting performances from KJ Apa, Sabrina Carpenter, Regina Hall, and Russell Hornsby.

This meaningful film addresses the ongoing problems with the intersections of racism and police brutality. It hit theaters on Oct. 5 and made $500,000 in its opening weekend. The film’s financial success is indicative of a generation expressing a need for change.

The film’s plot centers on Carter, a 16-year-old African American woman, who lives a “dual life” by attending a school known for its stellar academics and safety while living in Garden Heights, a neighborhood defined by its violence and poverty.

One night, as Carter heads home with her lifelong best friend, Khalil, the two get pulled over, but only Carter makes it out alive after police fatally shoot her friend. In the aftermath, Carter searches for justice and the voice she must use to speak out on behalf of Khalil and her community.

The opening scene consists of Carter’s father, (Russell Hornsby’s character Maverick “Mav” Carter) giving his children what has become “the talk,” or how to react to when a police officer pulls them over. This powerful opening scene set the intensity and the basis of what was to come. While I have never had to experience this type of interaction, many who have seen the movie believe this scene is part of how “The Hate U Give” provides an accurate representation of what occurs within communities which experience the effects of racism.

While this film expresses the need for change in society, it also displays the need to break out and use one’s voice. Throughout the course of the movie, the viewer is able to distinguish that growth in Carter as she eventually finds the courage to speak her truth.

This movie has everything from comedic moments to suspenseful scenes that left me on the edge of my seat waiting for more. Not only does the film capture the realism of everyday life, but it also leaves the viewer aspiring for the change the movie set out to portray.