the book look

Since the local elections took place on Tuesday, political change has recently been brought to the forefront of everyone’s minds. Here are five recent books to read if you’re interested in exploring the current political climate.

“Sisters First: Stories from Our Wild and Wonderful Life” by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush

This memoir of “First Daughters,” Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush, chronicles their early life, their time dealing with the Secret Service and political scrutiny while in college, and their evolution into adulthood. The daughters and granddaughters of two former presidents, the Bush daughters show how their bond as sisters has stayed strong even as they chose different paths and braved being “The President’s Daughters.”

“Great Again: How to Fix Our Crippled America” by Donald Trump

With a title mimicking his 2016 “Make America Great Again” campaign slogan, this pre-election memoir by Trump provides a look at his political views before running for president, and how, in his eyes, he could fix the government. Read after his election, the book could be an interesting look at Trump’s opinions before he entered the White House and now as he has been in office for a year.

“What Happened” by Hillary Clinton

Former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton shares her view of the 2016 presidential election, when she ran against Republican Donald Trump. From the first time she thought about running for president to after Trump won the election, Clinton narrates the ups and downs of the election through her eyes.

“You Can’t Spell America Without Me: The Really Tremendous Inside Story of My Fantastic First Year as President Donald J. Trump (A So-Called Parody)” by Alec Baldwin and Kurt Andersen

This novel — by Saturday Night Live actor and Trump impersonator, Alec Baldwin, as well as journalist and novelist Kurt Andersen — satirizes the first year of Trump’s time in the Oval Office. Whether you admire Trump’s honesty or not, Baldwin and Andersen’s book promises to make you laugh.

“Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House” by Donna Brazile

Currently controversial for its subject matter and claims, “Hacks” was recently released by former Democratic National Committee chair Donna Brazile. Brazile’s book is a must-read for those interested in political controversy, as well as for those looking to get a behind-the-scenes look at the 2016 election.