Lifestyle Books

Books are great. They can provide a much needed escape from the real world, give new knowledge and change our perceptions. Books also have the power to influence you long after you put it down.

There are plenty of books out in the world related to fashion, its history and the people who are involved with it. A few of those books have impacted me and stuck with me in various ways.

Bobbi Brown Teenage Beauty: Everything You Need to Look Pretty, Natural, Sexy and Awesome by Bobbi Brown and Annemarie Iverson

I properly learned how to do makeup from this book. I was given this book in middle school by my neighbor whose older daughter didn’t need it anymore. Sure, I knew what makeup was before then because I used it for dance recitals and competitions, but this was my first concrete resource that explained how to do makeup and hair.

Power Your Happy by Lisa Sugar

Lisa Sugar is the founder of the fashion, lifestyle and entertainment site PopSugar. In her book, she gives advice on various topics and writes about the creation of her company.

Power Your Happy made me realize that I should follow what I love and what makes me happy. This book also made me appreciate that I don’t always have to know what I want to do, that it’s okay to try different career paths and experiment with things.

While her book might not have influenced my fashion, it made me realize it’s OK to try new things.

#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

Sophia is the founder of the clothing company Nasty Gal. This book is all about how Amoruso started her company and the challenges she faced creating it.

Reading this book made me want to be a bolder, more confident person. Amoruso highlights what it means to be a #GIRLBOSS, a confident, empowered woman who knows what she wants to do. Being a #GIRLBOSS is something I’ve tried to incorporate into my life because of this book.

Amoruso, who started her business by selling vintage clothes on eBay, took her hobby and made it her career. This changed my perception on jobs because now I know that my job doesn’t have to feel like a job.

How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline De Maigret and Sophie Mas

I’ve always had a fascination with French culture. This book, written by four Parisian friends, gives an insider view on the lifestyle and fashion of Parisians.

They all touch on the topics of love, presence, fashion and health. My biggest takeaway from this book was simplicity. I can be chic and fashionable by wearing simple clothing and makeup. Fashion is a state of mind, it doesn’t matter what clothes I wear.