the book look

Do you want to be as powerful as Tyrion Lannister , as witty as Lisa Simpson or as successful as Rory Gilmore?

What connects everyone’s favorite pop culture figures isn’t cool settings, facial symmetry or really good screenwriters. Instead, it’s the fact that all of them read.

Take a look at everyone’s favorite pop-culture heroes and heroines most likely to be found on television, in literature and…holed up in the library behind a tower of books.

Rory Gilmore (“Gilmore Girls”)

You may not be able to catch a Jess, Dean or Logan, but if you go to Pattee Library, you can sympathize with Rory when she literally forgets to breathe after she sees the magnitude of Harvard University’s gigantic library. If you really want to go all out on Rory’s reading list, her borderline book-obsession has spurred a Bustle.com “Gilmore Girls Revival Reading Challenge.” The original series, according to the article, referenced a total of 339 books from Virginia Woolf’s “A Room of One’s Own” to Dr. Seuss’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” compiled by Australian author Patrick Lenton . To no one’s surprise, the Gilmore Girls revival includes Rory starting to write her own book about Lorelai and her family.

Samwell Tarly (“Game of Thrones”)

Sam Tarly could be found in the library of the Citadel, pouring over literary texts and translations. Some fans even have a theory that Tarly is the one narrating the Game of Thrones story, turning his love of reading into something that others can read and enjoy.

Sherlock Holmes (“Sherlock Holmes” series)

Sherlock Holmes may be the world’s best detective, but he didn’t get that way without reading. In the books, movies and Sherlock-inspired show “Elementary,” Holmes is the owner of a host of books and a very enviable library. There’s even a list on the book-sharing website Goodreads that catalogues all the books seen in his home on “Elementary.”

Hermione Granger (“Harry Potter” series)

Perhaps the most literarily-inclined student at Hogwarts, Hermione Granger begins reading the course textbooks even before she gets to school. In addition, she’s one of the smartest students in her class, always does the readings (and extra readings) and searches for answers to all of her questions by running to the library. Madam Pince may be formidable, but even she can’t stop Hermione from accessing books in the Restricted Section.

Brick Heck (“The Middle”)

The youngest child in the Heck family, Brick connects with the world through books. In the series, Brick has whispering tics, quirks and trouble making friends, but is never lacking for the latest book recommendation or literary allusion. His love of reading shines through the series, when he dresses up as a bookmark and dances at a pep-rally to convince his fellow students to read, when he goes to a conference for his favorite fictional series “Planet Nowhere,” or realizes that the Bible, which he has heard about in church, is actually a book.

Tyrion Lannister (“Game of Thrones”)

Tyrion Lannister is definitely a fan of reading, and he uses his constant reading as a weapon of knowledge against his enemies who have a physical advantage over him. Lannister even believes that books are better than sleep (a quality anyone who has snuck a flashlight under the covers will agree with). He may feel physically disadvantaged in fights, but Lannister will assuredly win any fight as long as he can just smack his combatants upside the head with a hardcover they haven’t read.

RELATED CONTENT

Lisa Simpson (“The Simpsons”)

It may not be something you’d expect from the daughter of Homer Simpson, but Lisa Simpson is a big reader. According to a Bustle.com article , Lisa has read everything from Sylvia Plath’s “The Bell Jar” to Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s “The Brothers Karamazov” to Walt Whitman’s “Leaves of Grass.” As with Rory Gilmore and Sherlock Holmes, Lisa’s book picks have inspired a “Lisa Simpson Reading Challenge” as well as a “Lisa Simpson Book Club” on Tumblr, and a Goodreads list chronicling all of the books she’s read.

President Josiah “Jed” Barlet (“The West Wing ”)

The President of the United States in the fictional series “The West Wing,” Josiah Bartlet is a fan of knowledge and literature even from a young age. In the episode “Two Cathedrals,” a flashback reveals that when he and his friends wrote an article criticizing their literature professor for banning books from the library , they used a quote from Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451.” Barlet is seen to be upset at the banning of these books, which included works from D.H Lawrence and Henry Miller as well as “Fahrenheit 451”—which, as Barlet explains, is literally about the danger of banning books.

RELATED CONTENT

Flynn Carsen / Nicole Noone (“The Librarians”)

In both the movies and the television series on TNT, this story about adventurous, magically knowledgeable librarians proves that librarian’s day jobs are more than just helping someone find their next read. Fittingly, a trilogy of books has become the latest spin-off in the series, and the first two books, “The Librarians and the Lost Lamp” and “The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase” have already been published. Admit it: Noah Wyle is even more attractive holding a book than tromping through a forest.

Alex Dunphy (“Modern Family”)

Though she may be a student at Caltech now, “Modern Family’s” Alex Dunphy has also proved her literary bona fides, escaping her shared room with her sister Haley through reading or attempting to bond with her cousin Lily by reading Louisa May Alcott’s “Little Women” to her while babysitting. We are going to ignore the opinions of my family here, who once screamed “Gabby, you ARE Alex!” during a New Year’s Eve “Modern Family” marathon.

RELATED CONTENT