Career Fair Business

The Smeal College of Business hosts a career fair in the Business Business on Tuesday January 30th, 2018.

It’s career fair season at Penn State and that means it’s time to go over what students should do before interacting with employers.

First thing first, and possibly the most important thing to do, look at what companies will be there and scope out the ones you’re interested in. Take time to research background information and current news on those companies in order to show you are passionate and informed.

Recruiters want to know why students come up to their table. They will be highly impressed by possible employees who are knowledgeable on their company prior to meeting.

Be sure to prepare a professional binder that includes multiple copies of your resume, cover letter, contact list and a note pad with a pen. Business cards may also be included but are not necessary.

Practice talking to employers in front of the mirror. Introducing yourself can be a make or break first impression. Go over possible questions recruiters may ask and answer them.

Answering questions ahead of time will prevent any awkward pauses or blanks. Being aware of how you look and sound while interacting with others can boost confidence.

Career Fair

Timothy Edman (senior- civil engineering), center, reviews his resume as he waits for the bus at the Centre Area Transportation Authority bus stop on Beaver Avenue in downtown State College, Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 27, 2016. Edman was preparing for the ASCE Civil and Environmental Engineering Career Fair at the Bryce Jordan Center. Cameron Hart/The Daily Collegian

Those questions will most likely be based on a student’s resume. They will ask why a student approached the table and what their interests are. There is no escaping the question that isn’t actually a question, “So, tell me about yourself.”

Before arriving, be in an environment that is calming, positive and confidence boosting. Confidence, in a way that isn’t stuck up or cocky, is one of the top qualities an employer looks at in a potential employee.

The night before the fair can be a bit stressful, but don’t worry. The best thing to do is get enough sleep.

Try to work your schedule around the day before the fair. Try not to do too much homework and begin relaxing in bed earlier than usual.

Time and time again, we are told how important sleep is to our minds and bodies. Do not ignore this fact the night before a career fair.

If you’re tired, the mind may not function properly and all of that practicing can go to waste.

The 4-7-8 sleeping technique can help those who are trying to sleep but can’t seem to actually fall asleep.

This technique requires breathing in and counting to four, holding that breath while counting to seven, and breathing out counting to eight.