When someone used to tell me “You’re turning into your mother,” I shuddered. For years I’ve rejected the thought that I am becoming more and more like my mother.

My parents are great, don’t get me wrong, but they can be embarrassing, out of touch, and dare I say, old.

My mom has a very unique and eclectic fashion sense, so the thought of me one day adopting her fashion sense scared me.

There’s a running gag between my mom and I about long, puffy, winter coats which she frequently wears and I absolutely hate. But every time I wear my black, feather down, knee length coat, she points out that I’m wearing a puffy coat, thus turning into her.

My mother’s outfits consist of red clogs, black pants and a hieroglyphic print blouse. She’ll wear electric blue riding boots with a black maxi skirt, chunky belt, chambray floral print blouse and a blush knit scarf.

Her closet, which she shares with my dad, was something I avoided like the plague when I was younger.

Now though, I think of my parents’ closet as a treasure trove. It’s like the closet from the Chronicles of Narnia.

In reality, your parents’ clothes can actually be a great addition to your own clothes.

When I finally ventured into their closet, I found many items that I actually liked.

Some items that I wear now, and brought to college with me, actually belong to my parents. My mom’s cream L.L. Bean knit sweater, some of her neck scarves and a denim button-up shirt from my dad.

The great thing is I don’t have to buy these things; I just “borrow” them from my parents.

Looking around in my parents’ closet also allows me to try out different styles that I might not have thought of before.

Are there some clothing items in my parents’ closet that I know I wouldn’t wear? Yeah. But there are also several unique and timeless items that I wear on a regular basis.

I resisted wearing anything that resembled the clothes my parents wore for a long time. Now, I’ve learned that maybe it’s not so bad to dress in your parents’ clothes.

Am I dressing a little bit like my mother? Yes. And you know what, it’s not so bad.