Football practice, Gross-Matos (99)

Yetur Gross-Matos (99) answers questions from reporters after football practice at the Lasch Football Building fields on April 10, 2019.

Less than a month after the 2019 NFL Draft, speculation regarding next year’s top prospects has already begun.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. put out his 2020 NFL Draft Big Board and Penn State junior defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos came in as the sixth overall prospect.

Kiper noted Gross-Matos’ ability to penetrate and finish plays as a major reason for his high ranking on the big board while calling him Penn State’s ‘most productive defender’ last season.

Gross-Matos recorded eight sacks and 20 tackles for loss last season with the Nittany Lions and was voted first-team All-Big Ten by the media.

Kiper did preface the rankings by saying that many of the players have been scouted as starters for just one full season, and that there is a lot of projection involved in the rankings.

This is the case for Gross-Matos, who made his first career start for Penn State at the beginning of last season.

Gross-Matos is the third Big Ten defensive end in the rankings behind Ohio State’s Chase Young and Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa.

The last Nittany Lion defensive end to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft was Jared Odrick, who was drafted 28th overall to the Miami Dolphins back in 2010.