Football, Kent State, Joey Julius

Penn State kicker Joey Julius (99) takes a kickoff during the game against Kent State at Beaver Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016.

Penn State kicker Joey Julius announced via his personal Facebook account that he was absent from the team from May throughout the summer because he had been receiving treatment for eating disorders.

Julius posted his message at 2:44 a.m. Monday to thank his coaches, training staff and all the doctors who helped him recognize his disorders.

In the post, Julius also offered to help anyone struggling with eating disorders.

He wrote: "If anyone and I mean anyone guy or girl is struggling with the same or anything similar please message me as I will be in immediate contact to help in any way I can to provide information or insight on my struggles and I would love to help."

In a statement provided to The Daily Collegian, head coach James Franklin offered his support for Julius.

"We are very proud of Joe and fully support him as he deals with these personal matters," Franklin said in the statement. "However, as is our policy, we do not discuss the medical affairs of our student-athletes. We ask for others to be supportive and respectful, as well!"

Here is Julius' full message from his original Facebook post: 

Julius first burst onto the scene in 2015 when he earned Penn State's starting kicking position, and he quickly received recognition for his booming right foot, as well as his rather unusual appearance for a kicker.

Some news outlets dubbed him "Big Toe Joe," and soon, fans filled Beaver Stadium wearing clothing bearing that nickname. It became hard to distinguish whether Julius' newfound fame came from his initial successes on the field or from his uncharacteristically large body frame for a kicker.

Julius thrived in the role at first, but his production slipped as the season progressed. By the end of the season, he had missed two field goals, had one blocked and missed four extra-point attempts. Tyler Davis took over as the team's field goal and point-after kicker.

This season, Julius has taken care of kickoff duties for the Nittany Lions, and Davis remains their No. 1 field goal kicker.

Julius has recorded two tackles on kickoff coverage this season, both of which were booming, de-cleating hits.

In Saturday's overtime win over Minnesota, Julius was blindsided by Jaylen Waters of the Golden Gophers on a late hit following a touchback. Immediately, Julius' teammates stormed the field, ready to defend their friend, who was being attended to by the training staff as he lay on the field. Waters was ejected from the game after the play and the Gophers were penalized 15 yards.

Matt Martell is the football editor for The Daily Collegian. Follow him on Twitter at @mmartell278 or email him at mtm5481@psu.edu