James Franklin

Coach James Franklin observes the offesnse ahead of the game against Indiana at Memorial Stadium on Sat. Oct 20, 2018. #18 Penn State defeated Indiana 33-28.

After an up-and-down recruiting process, Penn State finally landed one of its biggest 2020 targets in the defensive secondary just minutes after adding a wide receiver to the class.

Joseph Johnson, rated as a three-star cornerback in the composite rankings but a four-star by 247Sports, announced his commitment to the Nittany Lions Tuesday evening just after 7 p.m. at a ceremony in Virginia.

Rated as the No. 20 cornerback in the class and the No. 7 player in the state of Virginia by 247Sports, the site has Johnson’s stock trending up after numerous strong performances on the camp circuit throughout the spring and early summer.

Johnson, who decommitted from NC State in early May, chose the Nittany Lions out of 22 total offers including Texas A&M, NC State and Ohio State — the rest of his final four — as well as Baylor, Florida, Tennessee and Pitt.

The cornerback from Colonial Heights, Virginia, took his official visit to Penn State on June 18, and becomes the 18th overall commitment in Penn State’s 2020 class after 3-star wide receiver Parker Washington committed just minutes before Johnson.

He joins ATH Enzo Jennings, who’s expected to play safety in college, and Ji'Ayir Brown as the lone defensive backs in the class.