Football practice, James Franklin

James Franklin addresses the media after practice at Lasch Football Building on Wednesday, April 10, 2019.

Sometimes in the world of recruiting, you never know what the next day is going to bring.

After Penn State missed out on 5-star WR Julian Fleming at the hands of the Buckeyes just over a week ago, questions began to circle at just what was happening to the Nittany Lions, who were expected by many to have one of the top recruiting classes in the entire country at the beginning of the cycle.

But, as most in the recruiting world understand, one prospect isn’t make-or-break in determining the success of a class.

Once again, however, Penn State has found itself on the wrong side of a recruiting announcement, this time with the initial member of the 2020 class.

Late Sunday evening Grant Toutant, a 4-star tackle from Michigan, announced his decision to leave Penn State’s class, flipping to the Buckeyes in the process.

Toutant originally committed to Penn State on November 24 and had been active in helping the Nittany Lions recruit on Twitter since the time of his commitment — including retweeting a graphic about the Penn State offensive line class posted by the Nittany Lions’ highest-rated offensive lineman commit Aaryn Parks less than a week ago.

The No. 27-ranked tackle in the country’s departure sends Penn State’s class back to 11 members, including five offensive linemen. The Nittany Lions sit at No. 15 overall in the team rankings.