Penn State football cornerback John Reid could miss 2017 season

• Updated
Football OSU Reid 29

John Reid (29) keeps an eye on the opponent during the game against Ohio State University on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016. Penn State wins 24 to 21.

Penn State's defense just took a huge hit.

On Thursday, Lions247 sports reported rising junior cornerback John Reid could miss the 2017 season after suffering a knee injury during spring practice. The specific nature of the injury is still unknown.

Reid started all 14 games for the Nittany Lions last season, in which he was named All-Big Ten honorable mention after notching 36 tackles, five for a loss and one interception. He also led the team in passes defended with 10.

His pick of Temple’s Phillip Walker with 37 seconds left sealed a 34-27 win over the Owls in Week 3.

Reid also contributed on special teams, returning 22 punts for 166 yards and a long of 59 in 2016.

He was set to return alongside seniors Christian Campbell  and Grant Haley in the starting cornerback rotation.

Penn State’s other corners on the roster who have seen game action are redshirt junior Amani Oruwariye, and redshirt sophomores Garrett Taylor and Troy Shorts.

Also on the roster are redshirt junior Desi Davistransfer Jabari Butler, redshirt freshmen Zech McPhearson and T.J. Johnson and 2017 early enrollee and five-star recruit Lamont WadeUntil Thursday, Wade was thought to be in the mix to shift positions and replace the departed Malik Golden at safety.

The Nittany Lions will add true freshmen Tariq Castro-Fields, Donovon Johnson and DJ Brown this summer.