Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters, at 234 East College Avenue, will host a fundraiser benefiting THON on Thursday, Feb. 4, 2016 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. The celebration will include performances, giveaways and food.

While it may not be as apparent to us at Penn State as to someone who is living in New York City, today marks the beginning of fall fashion week — arguably the highest profile event in the industry.

Vogue is providing constant updates on their app and on Instagram stories, with a schedule of designers and their show times available on their website. There will be shows from Sept. 5 until Sept. 12, with designers ranging from Tom Ford to Calvin Klein.

Parties will light up the city this week as promotional events for different brands, almost marking the start of a new fashion year.

Spring fashion week doused us in more funk than expected – bright colors, statement shoes and borderline obnoxious accessories were in the lexicon of anyone talking fashion this summer. We see the neon trends in the posts of the richest celebrities – for Kylie Jenner’s 21st birthday, for example, nearly everyone sported something bright.

So what can one expect from this week? I am not a fashion connoisseur, but I will say that some of the summer trends may carry over into the fall. Some of the trends that I am expecting to see are:

Athleisure

This came onto the scene a few years back, when celebrities and models started wearing athletic clothes that couldn’t really be worn to actually work out — sort of like an off-brand sporty spice. We have seen this evolve to what we have this summer, which included biker shorts and clunky sneakers.

Target shoppers

Students walk out of the new Target in the Fraser Centre on the corner of West Beaver Avenue and Fraser Street on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017.

Hardly Functional Purses

The tiny clutch purse has become popular: some designer bags so small you can barely fit your phone in them. Neon bags are also popular. If you can get your hands on a tiny neon bag, it’s safe to say you’re on-trend.

Oversized Jackets

The past few fashion weeks have debuted jackets that look enormous on the slim figures of their models. Layering these expensive coats has also become popular, with several baggy designer jackets piled on top of each other for maximum fashion. I think we will be seeing more of these oversized coats this fall, hopefully with minimal fur and leather use.

I understand these predications will not encompass all of the new trends that will be born this week, but hopefully it provides something to look forward to. Regardless, if you are watching and see a style that is particularly engaging, but don’t have the funding for the tag, below are a few local stores that I have found to emulate designer trends fairly well.

H&M

While I find the clothes do not hold up after a few washes, they do hold true to the current trends at affordable prices. There is one downtown, which makes it that much easier to dress your best.

H&M Opening

Students line the streets outside of the new H&M in downtown State College on Thursday, October 6, 2016. The store is set to open at noon.

Urban Outfitters

Urban does have their own distinct style, but the store contains infinite potential for statement pieces and layering items so that you can satisfy your deepest fashion desires. I find they are on top of the trends, especially with regards to colors and accessories. They also carry some of the popular brands, like Calvin Klein.

Goodwill

Yes, I said it, Goodwill. Thrift shopping is where it is at. With a lot of ‘70s and ‘90s styles coming back into fashion, sometimes the best place to go to look for cool wardrobe looks is a second-hand shop.

Target

This store consistently puts out trendy outfits. While sometimes the colors are off season, the fits are typically consistent with what is seen on the runway.

Hopefully as fashion week rains down upon us, you will be inspired to dress a little funkier for the upcoming season (on a budget).