Burke/Lawyer

Ryan Burke and his attorney Phillip Masorti (right) exit the courthouse annex on June 13, 2018. The former Beta Theta Pi brother pleaded guilty to nine charges surrounding his involvement in the death of Timothy Piazza. 

Former Beta Theta Pi brother Ryan Burke pleaded guilty to nine charges surrounding his involvement in the events that lead to the death of Timothy Piazza.

At 1 p.m., Burke arrived with his attorney Phillip Masorti to accept the charges, four of which were counts of hazing.

In addition to the hazing charges, Burke has pleaded guilty to four counts of unlawful acts relative to liquor, malt and brewed beverages and licenses, and one count of purchase, consumption, possession or transportation of liquor and malt or brewed beverages.

Burke's sentencing is scheduled for July 31.

Piazza died Feb. 4, 2017 following a fall during an alcohol-fueled hazing event at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house that later proved fatal.

"Mr. Burke accepts full responsibility in his involvement in this tragic event," Masorti said following the hearing. "There are few too words to describe a loss so great. This young man understands that."

Burke is the first the former brothers to accept charges.

"We are pleased to see one individual accept responsibility and encourage others to follow in his steps," Tom Kline, the Piazza family lawyer, said following the plea.