Piazza Visser

Luke Visser, former member of Beta Theta Pi, walks out of the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte on Friday, May 5, 2017 after the conclusion of the arraingment for his role the death of Tim Piazza.

Former Beta Theta Pi brother Luke Visser will no longer face jail time after a judge ruled to modify his sentencing to house arrest.

In April, Visser was sentenced to two- to six-months in jail for his role in the February 2017 death of sophomore pledge Timothy Piazza. On May 15, Judge Brian Marshall ruled in favor of modifying the sentence to 45 days of house arrest.

"We are appreciative of the court’s willingness to consider our arguments and thankful to the court for its demonstration of judicial independence," Visser's lawyer Theodore Simon said in a press release.

Visser, 21, pleaded guilty to counts of hazing and conspiracy to commit hazing in December 2018.

During the fatal bid-acceptance night on Feb. 2, 2017, Visser worked at one of the drinking stations during the "gauntlet" drinking obstacle course at the now-banned Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

Footage from the night also revealed Piazza walked past Visser right before he fell down the fraternity stairs. After Piazza fell, Visser helped carry the pledge back up the stairs and place him on a couch.

Piazza suffered a fractured skull and lacerated spleen after consuming 18 drinks in 82 minutes and falling down the stairs. Brothers waited hours before calling for help.

In April, former brothers Joshua Kurczewski and Michael Bonatucci were also sentenced to jail time for their roles in Piazza's death, and later received modified sentencings of house arrest. Former brothers Joseph Sala, Jonah Neuman and Nicholas Kubera were sentenced, as well, to house arrest.