Banishing Plastic Surgery Misconceptions

I’m really struggling with a decision that is very important to me. I think that I want plastic surgery — but I also have some hang-ups about it, because I have kind of a bias against plastic surgery and the people who get it.

I have some body image issues. I’m thin, but I’m not happy with my chest — not just the size, but the shape. I’m working with a therapist and trying to love myself more, but I also wish I could improve myself with plastic surgery, and I’ve been saving up the money to do so.

But I was raised to be kind of critical of people who get plastic surgery, and I don’t like how fake it can look. Plastic surgery feels dishonest to me sometimes, and I worry that I won’t be myself — that I’ll like myself better because I’m not myself anymore, if that makes sense. Experts, please help!

Plastic surgery has gotten a bad rap over the years. Our culture has tended to shame people — particularly women — for investing in plastic surgery, even as our same society pushes so many people to feel that they need such surgery to maintain their looks. Some folks point to extreme examples of plastic surgery, suggesting that all of the people who choose cosmetic procedures look similarly extreme, suffer from similar body image issues, and are similarly vain. Whether or not such hateful things are true even in these examples is questionable at best, however, and to extrapolate these ideas to cover all people who get all kinds of cosmetic procedures is absurd.

The reality is that a person can have a lot of reasons to choose cosmetic surgery, and plenty of them have nothing to do with Hollywood expectations or extreme vanity. Cosmetic surgery can be life-changing for people who have been disfigured. It can have a real impact on quality-of-life for patients, so it’s foolish to assume that cosmetic surgery is only skin-deep.

Even if we focus on people who — like you — simply want to improve their appearance, we see a wide range of motivations and goals. Those who have chosen more extreme routes are more visible. But make no mistake: cosmetic surgery is all around you, in the form of subtle and self-affirming procedures that have been chosen by everyone from your neighbors to your local librarian. That’s not to say that everyone is getting plastic surgery — only about 4 percent of Americans say they’ve done so. But the obvious, extreme plastic surgery that you sometimes see in the world is not at all the norm. Thanks to modern techniques and a modern understanding of beauty, cosmetic surgeons are able to create results that look entirely natural, Tampa breast augmentation experts explain.

All of this is to say that if you choose to get cosmetic surgery on your breasts, you’ll get results that are beautiful and look natural. You won’t stand out to strangers as having had work done, and you can work with your cosmetic surgeon to choose a goal that will be appropriate for you. You can opt for something subtle that won’t be a huge change for those who already know you, if that’s what you want to do.

It’s important to approach this in a healthy way, of course. Plastic surgery is not a cure-all for self-esteem issues. But there’s no denying that it can help! Everyone wants to look good, and cosmetic procedures can help with that. The key is to balance this solution with care of your mental health and an understanding that your love for your appearance needs to come, in a large part, from inside you.

But it sounds like that’s exactly what’s going on already. You’re working with a therapist and tackling your body image issues on that front, too. We recommend you speak to your therapist about this option, then reach out to a reliable cosmetic surgeon to learn more about your options for procedures. You’ll likely find that you can improve your body while maintaining a positive mental state that emphasizes your love of yourself, no matter what you look like.

In the same way that stable, happy people comb their hair and put on nice clothes and makeup, a happy and stable person can opt for a cosmetic procedure to improve appearance, too. It sounds as if you’re approaching this the right way already, so don’t let myths about and bias against cosmetic surgery hold you back!