A Cheat Sheet for Starting a Trucking Business

Truck companies are an essential part of the United States economy. In fact, commercial trucks are said to deliver thousands of products across the country on a daily basis. If you're interested in starting your own trucking company, it's important to understand every aspect of the business to ensure safety and success.

1 A Cheat Sheet for Starting a Trucking Business

Equip Tractor-Trailers With Geotab Technology

Geotab helps trucking companies keep track of their vehicles and truck drivers by collecting essential telematics data to help companies increase efficiency and safety. Some of the data analytics provided by Geotab's products include fuel consumption, fleet maintenance, driver safety, and more. If you're in the trucking industry, then be sure to utilize Geotab fleet management solutions, as it is the future of success and safety for truckers everywhere.

2 A Cheat Sheet for Starting a Trucking Business

Seek Legal Advice

Every business needs a lawyer, so you should begin your trucking company by seeking legal advice from an attorney with experience in handling truck accident cases. Working with a truck accident lawyer is beneficial for companies as they can provide information about your legal rights as a business owner.

Unfortunately, truck accidents are not uncommon, so being prepared with a truck accident lawyer will help prevent your company from drastically suffering as a result of a truck crash. Victims of truck accidents often sue trucking companies for personal injury, property damage, and wrongful death. These cases can cause a company to suffer financially as a result of the lawsuit, while also hurting the company's reputation. Having a truck accident lawyer will help prevent your company from losing more money than necessary, as a strong attorney will be able to prevent the company from paying any unnecessary medical expenses or experiencing unreasonable increases in insurance policies.

A commercial truck accident can be traumatizing both physically and financially, so it's important to be prepared. If you're on the West Coast of the United States and are looking for a California truck accident attorney Daniel Kim Law is a renowned law firm that can set you up with an experienced truck accident attorney for a free consultation. Daniel Kim Law will ensure that your case receives a thorough investigation by their top attorneys and will fight to come out with a verdict in your favor.

3 A Cheat Sheet for Starting a Trucking Business

Purchase Business Insurance

Having a strong business insurance plan will help your company receive financial compensation in the event of a truck accident. Upon launching your trucking business, it's important to discuss different plans with various insurance companies to assess your specific needs. It is important to find an insurance policy that covers your company trucks as well as any basic damages that may occur on the road. If one of your truck drivers is involved in a truck accident, having the proper insurance policy will ease some of the financial burdens that will be incurred.

4 A Cheat Sheet for Starting a Trucking Business

Abide by Safety Regulations and Federal Regulations

Outlining safety rules and regulations is essential to protect your employees and pedestrians from experiencing severe injuries that result from a truck accident. Some basic, yet necessary, rules that you should implement among your drivers include: no texting while driving, no talking on the phone while driving, no speeding of any kind and no driving while tired. By outlining the company's safety rules for the employed truckers, you are decreasing the risk of your drivers getting into fatal truck crashes while also decreasing your company's liability for any accidents.

While instructing truck drivers with safety protocol regarding how to safely drive large trucks and commercial vehicles are essential safety measures, it is also necessary to ensure that the company vehicles pass federal regulations. Operating a large truck that does not pass federal regulations can result in avoidable and fatal truck accidents. As an owner of a trucking company, it is under your duty of care to ensure the safety of your drivers and society. The federal motor carrier safety administration is an essential aspect of the trucking industry and is a useful tool among commercial truck drivers for general information purposes and federal regulations.