Protecting Premium Property

I could use some guidance from an industry expert. I’m about to graduate from college with an engineering degree and go into business with my two friends. The three of us are planning to start an aerial drone company.

The market demand for consumer drones is booming right now, and we’ve all been learning about them in different ways through our college majors. Two of us can reliably tinker and modify the material components and the third is responsible for the financial stuff.

That said, we’re all still very new at the whole thing. For instance, at a recent business meeting, we couldn’t finalize a vendor contract for shipping without having a secure warehousing location. We hadn’t fully considered that yet but have no idea where to begin. That’s why we could use some help. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Bringing a business idea to fruition is no trivial undertaking. There are countless variables that warrant consideration, and securing your valuable assets is a probably one of the most important. Shubhomita Bose at Small Business Trends highlighted the fact that nine percent of small businesses suffered a burglary or theft in 2016. “If you haven’t taken adequate steps to protect your business from burglary or theft,” cautioned Shubhomita, “now is the right time to rethink your strategy.” The article also warned readers that business owners could have to pay up to $8,000 out of pocket despite being the direct victim of burglary or theft. In fact, the statistics indicated that burglary and theft were the most costly incidents aside from client complaints/contract disputes and employee injuries.

Entire industries have been erected to help business owners prevent unauthorized intrusions. “Warehouses are one of the prime targets for intrusion and theft,” declared an author at a boutique tech firm. “Their massive expanse is a huge challenge for protection of goods being stored and employees working in them.” In almost all cases, the risk of warehouse burglary and theft increases with the value of the stored merchandise. Assets are even more susceptible to burglary and theft when intruders are well aware of the physical location and implemented countermeasures.

Closed caption television (CCTV) monitoring is often the first security recommendation. Tony Pacheco at TechRepublic shared four tips for anyone designing and installing a surveillance system. Tony discussed everything from camera placement and device options to integrated systems and legal implications. Ignoring those variables is a recipe for disaster. That being said, even the best surveillance cannot prevent the most motivated trespassers. Those individuals with a background of successful infiltrations are much more difficult to thwart with the prospect of surveillance alone.

Seasoned business owners rely on security by design to ensure that their assets are safe and sound. That means installing reinforced commercial steel doors to stymy the typical brute force entries. Upgrading standard lock-and-key access mechanisms with biometric and/or facial recognition technology is another sound strategy. Contracting security staff to patrol the premises is usually the icing on the cake. At the end of the day, combining several disincentives is the only sure way to dissuade career thieves from attempting to breach warehouse security.

While many of these suggestions might seem like overkill, that’s definitely not the case. It was just a few years ago that John Wisely at USA Today reported that Michigan police uncovered a clandestine shoplifting ring being operated out of a regional warehouse. “Using specially modified clothes to conceal their haul,” said local investigators. “They could steal between $9,000 and $15,000 each day.” Making the headlines as a result of burglary or theft is insult to injury. Guarantees are obviously unrealistic but prudence demands that entrepreneurs remain conscientious when it comes to advanced planning.