Is It Time You Sought Therapy?

I need help deciding something kind of important. For a long while now, I’ve been putting off a trip to a therapist’s office. At first, I wanted to go because of something traumatic that happened in my personal life. But I also knew that I was moving to New York City, so I put off the appointment, thinking that I didn’t want to switch therapists right after I started therapy. After the move, though, I kept putting off making a first appointment. I didn’t want to spend the money, and I have heard therapy is really expensive.

Now I’ve been in New York for months, and -- to tell the truth -- I’m actually feeling quite a bit better. I’ve really come into my own, I think, and I feel more energetic and organized. I’m less depressed and anxious than I used to be.

But I still get down sometimes, and when I do, things can feel really hopeless. Maybe that’s how everyone feels when they get sad. I don’t know. But it makes me wonder if I should get therapy after all. Experts, how do I know that it’s time -- or if it’s still time -- to get therapy?

The decision to go to a therapist for the first time can feel like a big one. In a sense, it is; getting therapy can be a big deal for your mental health! But you shouldn’t feel as if the decision is a troubling one. Try not to be stressed about it. Therapy isn’t something that is just for “crazy” people (and, in fact, saying so is offensive). Therapy isn’t just for the worst times in your life, and it isn’t something that you can miss the “right time” for. Therapy is for anyone who could benefit from it, and that means just about everyone.

It sounds as if you had a really hard time recently, and we’re sorry to hear that. If you had asked us back then, we would have recommended you to seek out therapy. Talk therapy involves the relationships between you and your therapist, of course, but that doesn’t mean that it was a good idea to postpone choosing a therapist until after your move. Even a few visits could have had a positive impact on your mental health, and your initial therapist might have been able to refer you to a trusted therapist in your new hometown.

We often hear concerns about cost and prices related to therapy, however, therapy isn’t as expensive as you may initially have thought, explain the experts at Therapy Group of NYC. You may be able to get coverage through your health insurance provider, and there are a lot of qualified and talented therapists who offer their services at affordable rates. Besides, we often spend our money on a lot of things that are a whole lot less important than our mental health. Our mental health influences everything from how happy we are to how productive we are. It can even influence our physical health!

You’ve gotten through a tough time in your life without therapy, and while that might not have been the best way to do it, we’re very happy that you’re feeling better. That’s great news. But just because you are now feeling more positive doesn’t mean that you should rule out seeking therapy. You don’t have to feel down and depressed to benefit from the powerful strategies and insights that you could gain by working with a trained therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

You still deal with mental health issues, just as so many other Americans do. A huge number of Americans have anxiety or depression, and many of them don’t even realize. Some of those people find that their issues ebb and flow over the months and years in much the way that you’re describing.

You may have depression and anxiety that you are coping with right now, but without the right tools, it could become more serious later on. Or maybe you’re lucky enough to live without either condition and simply had a very rough time for a while because of personal issues that have happened recently. Either way, you can bet that you’ll experience ups and downs for the rest of your life -- ups and downs that you’ll handle much better if you have the help of a trained therapist.

So is now the right time for you to get a therapist? Sure! Perhaps a better way to put it would be this: there’s no wrong time to learn the tools and get the boost that great therapy can provide. Be proactive about your mental health, shed the stigma, and spend wisely on quality mental healthcare. Your brain, body, friends, family, and coworkers will thank you.