Make your parents proud. Visit a museum. No waiting, no lines and no admission fee.

If you are looking for some new and interesting places to visit, you'll discover several small -- yet fun --museums on campus.

You may want to visit the Frost Entomological Museum in Head House 3 on Curtain Road. Filled with more than 300,000 insects and ranging from common pests, such as bees and cockroaches to tarantulas, the museum displays both dead specimens and living colonies.

Since 1937, the museum has served primarily as a working research museum, said Stephen Bullington, assistant curator.

"Penn State is very active in the entomology field, not just in the United States but all over the world," he said.

Jay Keller, 14, of Lamar, said one of the museum's main attractions is the Plexiglas-covered hollow tree stump -- home to more than 30,000 domesticated bees. Keller, a volunteer at the museum, said many visitors seem to enjoy the bees the most.

Beside bees, bugs and beetles, the University has its share of tackles, touchdowns and trophies.

With the anticipation of the upcoming football season, a great way to get a head start on the excitement would be to pay a visit to the Penn State Football Hall of Fame. Located in the Greenberg Indoor Sports Complex, the one-room collection of memorabilia and awards captures some of the finest moments in Penn State football.

Glass cases, bursting at the seams with trophies, plaques, paintings and photos, line the room complete with their own alarm system. On display are a 1928 football ticket, a picture of the 1962 team with late President John F. Kennedy and John Cappelletti's 1973 Heisman Trophy.

Interested fans can view game and season highlights, said Mel Capobianco, a football office secretary who works with the Hall of Fame.

Many football alumni bring their families to visit the collection and see the pictures along the walls, she said. The memorabilia date from the beginnings of Penn State football.

"We keep all of the awards that we receive, and we never have had to omit something to make room for other awards. At the end of each season, the players receive their individual awards that they were presented with the season before," Capobianco said.

But if exploring other cultures is more your style, then the Museum of Anthropology in Carpenter Building may satisfy your wanderlust. Since 1964, the museum has displayed cultural artifacts from all over the world, many of which were donated by alumni and professors.

One of the museum's focal points is a display on Afghan cultures.

James Hatch, the museum's director, said a late university professor brought the collection to Penn State.

"Professor Dupree was one of the world's leading authorities on Afghanistan. He accumulated many traditional objects from several villages and donated them to our museum. Now we have one of the largest collections in the country that demonstrates the incredible ethnic diversity of Afghanistan," he said.

Some of the displays focused on the economics, religions and lifestyles of various settlements throughout Afghanistan.

Other popular points of interest include a Mesoamerican thatch house and casts of fossil bones, among the artifacts from Central America, Europe and Africa.

"There is no greater place on campus to be exposed to cultural diversity than this museum," Hatch said. "A visit here is like a crash course in cultural diversity."