Britain British Academy Film Awards Nominees Party

Actor Andrew Garfield poses for photographers upon arrival at the British Academy Film Awards Nominees Party at Kensington Palace in London, Saturday, Feb. 11, 2017.

This February marks the 89th year of acknowledging the film industry for their accomplishments throughout the year. The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, nominate the best movies of the year in 24 different categories including best actor/actress, best original screenplay and best original song.

“Hacksaw Ridge” is one of the nominees up for six awards including best picture, best director and best actor. The biographical war movie, directed by Mel Gibson and starring Andrew Garfield, tells the tale of Desmond Doss and his battle of wanting to serve his country while refusing to touch a weapon and harm another man.

The movie opens in the middle of an intense battle scene where soldiers are dying in fiery explosions with bullets flying in every direction. The story flashes back to a time when Desmond and his brother are much younger and an accident occurs. This accident leaves a lasting impression on Desmond and stays with him for the rest of his life.

Time passes and Desmond becomes a young man and decides to enlist in the war as a medic. He reaches trouble at basic training when he refuses to pick up a weapon due to his beliefs as a conscientious objector.

When Desmond gets to Okinawa the harsh reality of war rears its ugly head and shows itself for all the soldiers to see.

One can almost smell the dreaded stench of death as the soldiers’ trek through the war field of corpses, nicknamed hacksaw ridge.

Once the battle between the Americans and the Japanese start, an endless bloodbath occurs with both sides taking heavy losses.

“In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons.” This line spoken by a solider in the midst of the battle portrays how erroneous war is to mankind.

Shocked by the intense warfare but determined to “put some of the world back together,” Desmond repeatedly risks his life to save his fellow men and even give aid to a few of the enemy.

The story of Desmond Doss exemplifies the utmost trust in faith and helping without hurting in a time engulfed by harm and death.

“Hacksaw Ridge” is a brilliantly told film, establishing an intense connection with its viewer and stirring up emotions inside. It is no surprise after viewing the film that “Hacksaw Ridge” is also nominated at this year’s Oscars for best sound editing, best sound mixing and best film editing.

Mel Gibson replicates the intense horrors of war through the camera and makes one feel as if they are in the midst of the battle. From the crisp scenes of the small town city to the dark and dreary battlefield, each location sets the tone perfectly for the action that unfolds.

“Hacksaw Ridge” is a story that reminds us that in war there are no winners, and that in taking the peaceful road, one can make a greater difference than ever imagined.