During Monday night's Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala, celebrities did not hold back while executing this year’s theme: “Camp: Notes on Fashion.”

Not to be confused with the tent-pitching, marshmallow-roasting outdoor activity, “camp,” in regards to fashion, means an appreciation for the extravagant — a “love of the unnatural, of artifice and exaggeration,” according to Susan Sontag’s 1964 essay, “Notes on Camp.”

While some stars embodied the theme with elegance, others missed the mark. With another year of themed, designer outfits, the 2019 Met Gala is sure to go down in the books as memorable — at least until next year, when more outrageous looks roll through all over again.

Best dressed

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Lady Gaga walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

The actress and singer defined camp by revealing not one, but four looks, designed by Brandon Maxwell. Starting down the red carpet almost completely covered in a flamboyant hot pink gown with a massive train, Gaga eventually ends her whole ensemble with an edgy look in fishnets, briefs and a sparkly bra.

Zendaya

Zendaya Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Zendaya walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Serving princess realness, the 22-year-old singer and actress arrived in a Tommy Hilfiger black — and, eventually, blue — ballgown to resemble Cinderella.

One of the most magical red carpet moments of the night happened when the star's stylist, Law Roach, joined her dressed as Cinderella's fairy godmother and waved a wand in front of her, causing her whole dress to light up from black to vibrant blue.

Zendaya detailed the look with blonde hair in a French twist and a black choker, tying the princess-esque outfit together perfectly.

Billy Porter

Billy Porter Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Billy Porter is carried across the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Before even considering his outfit, Billy Porter's entrance was iconic in itself. Carried in on an Egyptian litter by six shirtless men, the actor’s look featured a golden bejeweled catsuit, 10-foot wings and a 24-karat gold headpiece.

Harry Styles

Harry Styles Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Harry Styles poses on the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Gender-bending styles were a key element of camp fashion and very popular at this year’s Gala. Styles made his Gala debut in a Gucci ensemble, with a black sheer top, high waisted pants and a single dangling pearl earring.

Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Kacey Musgraves walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Kacey Musgraves took her camp inspiration from the beloved childhood toy, Barbie. Arriving fashionably to the event in Barbie's convertible dream car, the country singer turned heads with her hot pink Moschino look, long blonde hair and a hairdryer-shaped purse.

Worst dressed

Jared Leto

Jared Leto Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Jared walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

The actor's outfit also turned heads — literally. While Leto’s replica of his own head served as a clutch and a prop for other celebrities to jokingly pose with, it was also kind of creepy and disturbing. The diamond-encrusted red Gucci gown he sported would have been beautiful, had it not been accessorized with the wax head.

Katy Perry

Katy Perry Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Katy Perry walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Cosmopolitan chose the singer's look as “The Easiest Joke on Twitter.” Katy Perry’s chandelier outfit went beyond camp and into strange territory. Overall, the Moschino ensemble wasn’t impressive, but the strength in Katy’s neck required to hold that chandelier up was.

Karlie Kloss

Karlie Kloss Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Karlie Kloss walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

While the supermodel herself looked great — as always — her short, gold mini-dress that did not quite fit her right didn’t live up to the Met Gala expectations. It seemed pretty and plain, and not very camp-y. Frankly, it looks like a gold pillow case.

Caroline Trentini

Caroline Trentini

On May 6, 2019, Caroline Trentini walks the red carpet at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Rather than camp, the Brazilian supermodel chose her own theme: Halloween? A black bodysuit complete with a skeleton print on her front and back showed that at least Trentini was having fun. Perhaps this look can be recycled in October.

Kim Kardashian West

Kim Kardashian West Met Gala 2019

On May 6, 2019, Kim Kardashian West poses at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. This year's Met Gala theme was "Camp: Notes on Fashion."

Like Kloss, Kim Kardashian West looked amazing in her waist-cinching Thierry Mugler dress, complete with crystals that made her seem like she was dripping wet. But at the same time, Kim wearing a tight transparent bodycon dress seems a little predictable and not very camp.