Holocaust survivor Herb Maltz said his very existence is a miracle.

"I was supposed to be killed. I wasn't supposed to be alive," said Maltz, who is one of the subjects of the documentary No. 4 Street of Our Lady, which tells the story of Francisca Halamajowa, a Catholic woman who hid 15 Jews from the Nazis during World War II.

The sold-out showing of the film had all 571 seats of the State Theatre accounted for Sunday.

Of the 15 Jews saved by Halamajowa, four are alive today.

All four survivors featured in the film traveled to State College, some from as far away as Israel, to watch the film and answer questions from the audience.

The documentary was made by Penn State professors Judy Maltz, Barbara Bird and Richie Sherman, who thanked members of the Penn State community, including Penn State President Graham Spanier, who was in attendance, for supporting their work.

Moshe Maltz, who was Herb Maltz's father and Judy Maltz's grandfather, kept a diary of his life while hiding out in Halamajowa's pigsty.

The diary provided the filmmakers with detailed information about the survivors' lives.

The professors accompanied Halamajowa's descendants and survivors Herb Maltz, Fay Letzter Malkin and Eli Kindler on a trip to Sokal, Poland, where they visited Halamajowa's house, a ghetto Sokal's Jews were forced to live in, and a grave site containing the remains of hundreds of Sokal's murdered Jewish men -- among them Malkin's father.

"Seeing the place where my father died and knowing that he wasn't even 40 years old ... he never even lived his own life. A 40-year-old man killed for nothing, because he was Jewish," Malkin said during the question-and-answer session.

Herb Maltz said the survivors weren't welcome in Sokal when they came out of hiding, which is why many of them abandoned Poland for Israel or America.

Malkin said she wouldn't have wanted to stay in Sokal under any circumstances.

She described her family's attitude as "OK, we survived. Now let's get out of here."

Though survivor Sam Kram did not want to return to Sokal, he still participated in the film because he thinks it's important that younger generations know what happened.

He also lamented the fact more survivors aren't alive to tell their stories.

"It's too bad this movie wasn't made 20, 25 years ago. We were just kids. Our parents lived it more," he said.

The film elicited tears from many audience members, and received a standing ovation.

Miriam Brandt (sophomore-Russian and communications) said she enjoyed watching the film.

"It was definitely powerful," she said.

Brandt said the story hit home with her because she is Jewish and has family in Lithuania, near the setting of the film.

"It's all tied together," she said. "Hearing stories about people who went against everything to save Jews is amazing."