TV-Streaming Ahead

A person displays Netflix on a tablet (AP Photo).

Whether you are stuck in State College with an exam at the end of the week, or have multiple finals and are need of procrastination, there is a multitude of great shows available to watch.

On streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, or HBO, here are some shows to use as a brain cool-off — or hours of procrastination.

‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’

This comedic show can be a change up for those ‘Office’ and ‘Parks and Recreation’ lovers. After a while, these shows may get old to watch, so Brooklyn Nine-Nine can offer new characters to invest in with a similar dry-humor style. Similar to the scene of office life, this show features police colleagues, a care-free detective Jake Peralta and their tough boss Ray Holt.

‘The Act’

This show is for those who like interesting, semi-horrifying storylines. The show is getting a lot of recent hype. It is a Hulu original that describes the true story of Gypsy Blanchard and her overprotective mother, Dee Dee. This storyline focuses on the murder of the mother, Dee Dee, who passed her daughter off as having leukemia, asthma, muscular dystrophy more for her entire life. The eight-episode series tries to reenact this unbelievable storyline of Gypsy trying to escape the toxicity in her life.

‘New Girl’

After recently wrapping up its seventh and final season, New Girl is a great show for those sitcom lovers. The show features a hilarious friend group that took in a new roommate, Jessica Day, who recently went through a bad breakup. This show intertwines friendship, romance and the everyday hilarious activities of the roommate crew that will make you become attached to.

‘Black Mirror’

Some may think this classic Netflix original is scary, but the great thing about Black Mirror is that you can pick individual episodes to watch as there is no running storyline. Some episodes do show the scary side of technology, but some can also be uplifting and spark curiosity. Some happy-ending episodes are ‘Nosedive,’ ‘San Junipero’and ‘USS Callister,’ but all episodes are great for those sci-fi loving watchers.

‘Our Planet’

The new eight part Netflix show not only shows so many beautiful elements of Earth, but also educates watchers on the dramatic changes the world has seen. Featuring different landscapes of Earth in each episode, watchers can choose their favorite scene from ‘Deserts,’ ‘Forests,’ ‘Frozen Worlds’ and more. This is perfect for those who love to watch nature documentaries or simply want to give a new genre of show a try. It has a way of intensifying scenes through the narrator, which is the voice of legendary broadcaster David Attenborough.

‘Game of Thrones’

It’s never too late to join the ‘Game of Thrones’ hype, but just be careful of spoilers as this is the final season and Twitter is certainly loving ‘Game of Thrones’ gossip. Also, ‘Game of Thrones’ requires an HBO subscription, so the monthly fee is certainly a commitment, but worth it to many to watch the show.

‘Ozark’

Netflix lists this as one of their “Binge-worthy Crime TV shows.” This show covers the story of Marty Byrde, who works as a financial planner. He brings his family to a summer resort community in the Ozarks, as Marty pays the consequences of running a money laundering scheme. Intense fights and scenes between him and drug lords keeps the watcher on their feet as they see where Marty’s fate is headed.

‘Disenchantment’

This is one of Netflix’s original animated shows that does not get enough credit. The show is perfect for a good laugh, or animated show to distract from finals stress. With the same creator as ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Futurama,’ the character style of those shows is definitely incorporated into this series. But, unlike its similar shows, ‘Disenchantment’ provides a continuous storyline of the princess Bean, her partner Elfo and demon friend Luci. The scene is set in ‘Dreamland,’ and shows the trio’s adventures as Bean is not the stereotypical princess.

A Marvel Cinematic Movie Marathon

This one is not a TV show, but could be perfect for those who have only one final Thursday or Friday. The runtime of this movie marathon is one day, 23 hours, and 48 minutes, including the new addition of the newest Marvel movie, ‘Endgame’ Netflix even offers the movies, ‘Avengers Infinity Wars,’ ‘Thor Ragnarok,’ ‘Black Panther,’ ‘Ant Man’ and ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Episode 2.’

Hopefully if you doesn’t have a Netflix or Hulu account, a friend or family member does have one to share. Also, Hulu offers a student deal partnering with Spotify, paying $5 a month for the use of both.

Happy streaming and good luck on finals – don’t procrastinate too much!