160903_ac+Clown Sighting 6.jpg

Michael Willis (freshman-engineering) leads a chant on the steps of Old Main on Monday, October 3, 2016. After hearing a report that a clown was sighted at Old Main, students started rushing towards Old Main lawn in search of the clown.

Updates: 

• (10/04/2016 | 5:44 p.m.) Penn State Police reported no violence, property damage or injuries, but did receive multiple noise complaints. 

• (10/04/2016 | 5:44 p.m.) In response to the rumor about the clown sightings being related to fraternity hazing activity, police said they were unaware of the rumor and the Interfraternity Council had no comment about the matter.

• (10/04/2016 | 3:05 p.m.) Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey released a statement to The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to the reported clown sightings across the country, saying “It is troubling because it’s a distraction for our clowns who just want to make people laugh and smile." 

What We Know Right Now: 

• Hundreds of students ran through campus on Monday night after multiple reports of clowns in the area.

• A giant image of a clown was projected onto Beaver Hill apartments. No word yet on where the projection was coming from or who was responsible.

• Penn State police officers on the scene last night insisted that there was no clown and the reported sightings were just rumors.

• State College Police had "no comment" when reached out to last night. 

160903_ac+Clown Sighting 1

Students gathered at Pollock Halls after numerous reports were made that clowns were sighted on campus on Monday, October 3, 2016. After hearing a report that a clown was sighted at Old Main, students started rushing towards Old Main lawn in search of the clown.

160903_ac+Clown Sighting 2.jpg

Police officers ride on bicycles and followed students throughout the streets. After hearing a report that a clown was sighted at Old Main, students started rushing towards Old Main lawn in search of the clown on Monday, October 3, 2016.

160903_ac+Clown Sighting 3.jpg

After hearing a report that a clown was sighted at Old Main, students started rushing towards Old Main lawn in search of the clown on Monday, October 3, 2016.

160903_ac+Clown Sighting 4.jpg

160903_ac+Clown Sighting 5.jpg

160903_ac+Clown Sighting 7.jpg