Damian Dobrosielski is a senior majoring in journalism and a Collegian football writer. His Big Ten notes, compiled from staff and wire reports, appear Thursday.

Big Ten Notes:

Apparently, Michigan captain Walter Smith doesn't like Ohio State Coach John Cooper. Smith wants Cooper to be removed from his position. Permanently.

Smith said he wants the No. 15 Wolverines (7-3, 5-2 Big Ten) to defeat the No. 22 Buckeyes (8-3, 5-2 Big Ten), so Cooper will be fired.

"That's what I want to do," the wideout said Monday. "We want to keep on beating them until he's not there."

And Cooper's response to Smith's comment?

"I don't have any comment on that whatsoever," he said.

Since Cooper's arrival at Ohio State, the Buckeyes are a pathetic 0-5-1 against Michigan.

Smith, who has been sidelined most of this season, said his remarks were made in an effort to get Michigan fired up for this Saturday's game in Columbus. Although Smith hasn't suited up for every game, Wolverine Coach Gary Moeller said the senior has been a vocal leader on the sideline.

Indiana and Iowa both started brand new quarterbacks last Saturday.

Hawkeye Coach Hayden Fry decided to go with signal caller Matt Sherman last Saturday against Northwestern, and it paid dividends. Iowa whipped the Wildcats, 49-13.

Sherman, a freshman, completed 19 of 24 passes for an eye-popping 331 yards. He also threw for three touchdowns.

"He has a bright future," Fry said, "but it's way too early to compare him to some of our great quarterbacks like Chuck Long and Chuck Hartlieb. As a freshman he looks as good as any we've had here."

Although Indiana lost to Ohio State last Saturday 32-17, quarterback Chris Dittoe was respectable in his first-ever start as a Hoosier. The sophomore signal caller completed 20 passes for 182 yards. He also tossed a touchdown pass.

Along with Penn State quarterback Kerry Collins, two Ohio State players were named Big Ten players of the week.

Buckeye defensive end Mike Vrabel was named the conference's defensive player of the week for his effort in Ohio State's 32-17 win at Indiana. The sophomore recorded six tackles (four solo stops), and two sacks for a loss of 21 yards. His second sack in the last quarter caused a fumble which the Buckeyes recovered.

Ohio State wideout Joey Galloway compiled 157 total return yards against the Hoosiers. With the Buckeyes trailing 7-0, Galloway returned a kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown.