Senior Bubba Jenkins said Thursday the decision for him to leave the Penn State wrestling team was made by coach Cael Sanderson.

"It was a decision that was given to me," Jenkins said about his departure from the team. "I had no choice."

Jenkins said although in some regards the action was unforeseen, in other another sense he felt the decision was coming. When Jenkins hadn't talked to the coaching staff in some time, the senior said he perceived a building tension.

Jenkins said he felt the decision could have been made because he didn't fit Sanderson's wrestling style. When Sanderson told Jenkins what to do on the mat, Jenkins said he had trouble executing Sanderson's teachings.

"He's a really good coach," Jenkins said. "It kind of came out of nowhere. I still don't know what I did to deserve it."

Sanderson announced Jenkins' departure Wednesday but could not be reached for comment after Jenkins made his statements.

Jenkins, who redshirted the first half of the 2009-10 season because of academic ineligibility, said he still has the utmost respect for the Penn State wrestling program and Sanderson. After amassing a 73-21 record in three seasons, the senior feels a sense of Penn State pride.

He said his choice to transfer or stay at Penn State will be decided by him and his family in the upcoming days. Staying at Penn State and getting his degree seems to be the best option, Jenkins said, but he plans on wrestling even though it will be away from the Penn State singlet.

Sanderson also confirmed Wednesday that freshman Luke Macchiaroli is leaving the team.

Macchiaroli, a native of Tempe, Ariz., is transferring to Arizona State and was the winner of the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award as a senior.

"He just wanted to go home," Sanderson said. "He's a good kid, and we have a lot of respect for him, but he just realized he wanted to go home."