The trial of a man accused of shooting an Altoona Campus student in April began Monday in Blair County Court.

Daniel Christopher Moyer, 18, of Altoona, is accused of shooting 19-year-old Michael Kiel of Portage on April 16 outside a Sheetz convenience store in Altoona. The shooting left Kiel (sophomore-psychology) a quadriplegic.

After leaving the store at about 4 a.m., Kiel had a brief conversation with Moyer, who was at a pay phone outside the store. Moyer allegedly shot Kiel in the neck after the two exchanged words. Moyer turned himself over to police later that day.

First Assistant District Attorney David Gorman said Kiel and Moyer did not know each other.

Moyer is charged with criminal attempt to commit homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, terroristic threats, firearms not to be carried without a license and harassment.

Gorman said the prosecution rested yesterday and the defense began presenting its case. Defense attorney Thomas M. Dickey called a firearms expert and a witness who had contact with Moyer shortly after the shooting, Gorman said. The defense is claiming the shooting was accidental, Gorman said.

Dickey was unavailable for comment.

Gorman said he expects the trial to end tomorrow and the jury to announce the verdict then.

Kiel is a member of Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity at Altoona Campus. His fraternity brothers have been attending the trial to show support, said chapter president Adam Goldfeder (sophomore-administration of justice).

Fraternity member Chris Sevanick (senior-sociology), who is now a student at University Park, said he spoke to Kiel Saturday. Kiel told Sevanick he wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for his fraternity brothers, who have driven him back and forth from his home in Portage to classes at the Altoona Campus.