Erickson: Tim Curley's status as an employee is under evaluation

President Rodney Erickson sits down with Collegian reporter, Rachel White, during an exclusive interview in his Old Main office on August 23, 2012.

Tim Curley’s status as a Penn State employee is under evaluation, Penn State President Rodney Erickson said in an interview with The Daily Collegian.

Former Penn State President Graham Spanier placed Curley on administrative leave last November after Curley was charged with perjury and failure to report suspected abuse, Erickson said. Curley requested this status following charges filed against him.

Curley served as Penn State’s athletic director since 1993. Currently, David Joyner is filling this position as the acting athletic director. To date, Penn State is paying both Joyner and Curley.

Erickson said the university is continuing to review Curley’s status on the payroll and that he plans to keep Joyner in the position.

“David Joyner is doing an excellent job and my intent is to keep [him] on during my tour as president,” Erickson said.

Erickson said he plans to retire in 2014.

Curley and former Interim Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz are both charged with perjury and failure to report suspected abuse in connection with the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse case. Schultz has returned to retirement.

Sandusky was convicted in June on 45 counts of sexually abusing children.

Jury selection for both Curley and Schultz’s joint trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 7, 2013.