Dressed as an angel, two-year-old Maya Brown-Hughston waved her golden magic wand and danced to the music.

She also ate cake, drank punch, colored and made new friends at the Halloween party sponsored by Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., held Friday night in 13 Shulze.

This was the second time the sorority held a Halloween party, said Shurl Harris, a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.

"We just wanted to give some of the State College children a safe place to celebrate Halloween," Harris said.

Other organizations contributed to the program such as Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., 4 Bigler, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., 108 S. Hibbs, Lambda Phi Epsilon fraternity, and Black Caucus, Harris said.

Children ranging from two to seven years old from local churches and from the Cubs Club Preschool and Daycare Center, 217 S. Burrowes St., as well as children of sorority women and friends, attended the program.

Yasmin Villuendas, director of Cubs Club Preschool and Daycare Center, said this was the second year the school was invited to participate in the program.

"The children loved it last year," Villuendas said. "It's a great program."

Villuendas said parents liked the idea of their children spending time with a sorority, and the children like the games, stories and party outside of the schoolroom.

Sheneka Soloman, a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., brought her one-year-old daughter, Paige Bryant, who was dressed as a clown, to the party.

"Service to children is something that we try to focus on locally as well as nationally," Soloman said, adding that the sorority decided to make the program an annual addition to their calendar after last year's success.

"There aren't a lot of things that are going on at a regular basis that are for children and families," Soloman said. "It's a way for us to make ourselves a part of the community, because a lot of times the community just looks at us as students."

Paige enjoyed the program, her mother said.

"It's her first Halloween and it's a little strange and new," Soloman said, "but she likes to be around other children."