University Student Trustee Christina Henke has been named one of Glamour magazine's Top 10 College Women for 1988.

Henke, who will receive her bachelor's degree next month, was honored because of her extensive involvement in campus activities as well as overall leadership, excellence in academics and extra-curricular activities. She has earned her bachelor's degree in three years while maintaining an A" average.

I'm very pleased because this is a way of knowing the work I have put in has paid off with national recognition," Henke said yesterday. I'm also honored because Penn State is not normally one of the schools with winners of this award."

Henke will be honored along with the other nine winners for a week beginning June 20 at the magazine's headquarters in New York City and will also be the subject of a feature article in Glamour's August issue.

Henke was appointed to the 32-member Board of Trustees by Gov. Robert P. Casey last October. But that is not her only accomplishment. She was also named winner of a National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, which will provide a stipend of $12,300 for three years, a travel allowance and payment of tuition and fees.

Henke is continuing studies at the University toward a doctorate in molecular and cell biology, which she began as an advanced freshman. After she earns her Ph.D., she may continue research in cancer, possibly going into teaching or pursuing a business in biotechnology.

Allen T. Phillips, professor of biochemistry, said Henke knows what she wants and is determined to stay on track to achieve it.

She's very organized and there's no doubt it helps her work," Phillips said. Henke has participated in gene splicing research under Phillips' direction since her freshman year.

Henke said she was pleasantly surprised by the Glamour honor, but I had a good feeling about winning because I have a most exceptional college record. ... I figured I was unusual enough to choose."

In her spare time, Henke writes poetry and has published poems in the books Lucidity and Vision of Verse.

I think (Glamour's judges) were looking for someone who is well-rounded in a lot of different areas while having high achievements in a few areas," she said.

Henke applied for the award early last year with recommendations from professors and others.