Pizzeria bringing new flavors to residents

Bell's Greek Pizza, 214 E. Calder Way, is scheduled to open April 15.

State College residents will soon be able to go Greek with pizza, sandwiches and salads.

After more than 20 years, Bell's Greek Pizza, 214 E. Calder Way, is returning to State College and is scheduled to open April 15.

The State College pizzeria will be the chain's fourth: Two locations exist at Michigan State and one is at the University of Michigan, said State College manager Pano Beloyeannis.

Beloyeannis said the business is a full-service pizzeria that sells gourmet pizzas, chicken and lamb gyros, baklava, pasta, grinders and sandwiches.

"It's a unique pizza and it doesn't currently exist in State College," Beloyeannis said.

"Our grinders and our pizza are our most popular items," he added.

The pizzeria will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 a.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. to 5 a.m. on the weekend.

Bell's Greek Pizza, based out of East Lansing, Mich., is owned and operated by the Beloyeannis family, which has been in the pizza business for 40 years.

Bell's Greek Pizza was located at 538 E. College Ave., where Hooters now stands, until 1981, when the family decided to focus on its pizza businesses in Michigan.

Beloyeannis said that returning to State College has been a top priority for the family since he joined the business.

Downtown Improvement District Director Teresa Sparacino said Bell's Greek Pizza would be an interesting option for State College residents.

"It gives people a variety," Sparacino said.

Patrick Frawley (senior-marketing) said he would enjoy the new pizzeria because of his love for Greek food.

"I'm a big fan of gyros and baklava," he said.

Robert Baker (senior-energy and business and finance) said he is looking forward to Bell's Greek Pizza opening soon because he enjoys trying diverse food.

Gordon Hanczar, chief operating officer for Friedman Real Estate Group, said the pizzeria signed its lease in September and construction began Feb. 10, but added that the process was delayed slightly because of new health and fire codes.

Beloyeannis said the family would begin hiring at the end of March, and said most positions will be part time.