Penn State defenseman Mark Yanis suspended for Boston College game - The Daily Collegian: Men's Ice Hockey

|
||

Penn State defenseman Mark Yanis suspended for Boston College game

Mark Yanis

Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:00 am

Facing one of the nation’s best offenses, Penn State will be without a key defenseman Saturday.

Penn State defenseman Mark Yanis has been suspended for the team’s game against Boston College, stemming from a hit in Penn State’s 3-2 loss to Michigan State, the Big Ten announced Wednesday afternoon.

With 5:23 remaining in the third period, Yanis went into the corner with Spartan forward Villiam Haag. That’s where Yanis hit Haag from behind. Yanis, a sophomore, was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for the hit.

Haag was shaken up on the hit and needed the help of trainers to get up and off the ice. Haag did remain on the bench after the hit, though.

The suspension is the first to be handed down by the Big Ten, and Yanis is the first Nittany Lion to be suspended this year.

“The Big Ten Conference office announced today that Penn State hockey student-athlete Mark Yanis has been suspended for one game under the conference’s supplemental discipline process, as a result of an incident that occurred in a game against Michigan State on Jan. 18,” the Big Ten’s release said.

Yanis has played in 15 games this year, recording just three points, all of which were assists. He has a minus-2 overall rating and 14 penalties for 47 minutes this year.

Last season, Yanis was tied for second among defenseman on the team in points, with nine.