Hockey sales increase for 2013-14 - The Daily Collegian: Men's Ice Hockey

|
||

Hockey sales increase for 2013-14

Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:00 am

Hockey Valley has swept the campus.

With the opening of the Pegula Ice Arena and the first game of the men’s hockey 2013-14 season last Friday, an increase in hockey gear around campus is very apparent.

Hockey Valley T-shirts, blue and white replica jerseys and numerous other styles have hit the shelves of popular clothing stores downtown.

A representative from McLanhan’s, located on the corner of College Avenue and South Garner Street, said she noticed an increase in sales.

“Sales increased as soon as they broke ground,” Jennifer Schoch from McLanahan’s said.

With the approaching 2013-14 season, Schoch said there is a noticeable growth of online sales as well.

The store ships T-shirts and jerseys all over the country to alumni who are excited about the men’s hockey team and its upcoming season in its new home rink.

Schoch also explained that there was an apparent amount of merchandise sold on Wednesday and Thursday of last week in preparation for the Nittany Lions’ home opener against Army on Friday.

There is now a different type of clientele who are buying hockey clothing compared to the customers buying football items, and it is becoming a bigger part of McLanahan’s sales, Schoch said.

Schoch also said it does not compare to the amount of football merchandise being sold, especially on football weekends.

Steve Moyer, the store manager of Lion’s Pride located at 112 E. College Ave., also noticed an increase in hockey merchandise sales as soon as it was announced that they were going to be a Division I team for the 2012-13 season.

Even with the football game this past weekend, hockey merchandise was a visible part of Lion’s Pride sales especially after their 4-1 win on Friday against Army. Moyer said that the Lion’s Pride “demographic has not changed” because students and alumni alike are buying hockey T-shirts, jerseys and other clothing.

With the increased demand for hockey clothing, Lion’s Pride has started to put more styles on its shelves and on its online store as hockey sales escalate.

Caroline Gummo of Family Clothesline, 352 E. College Ave., added people have been recently coming into the store looking for, not only the full Nike hockey clothing line the store carries, but also the Penn State hockey pucks, sticks and other souvenirs.

“There’s been a tremendous amount of excitement,” Gummo said.