Penn State women's gymnastics has season-highs at meet in New Hampshire - The Daily Collegian: More Division I Sports

|
||

Penn State women's gymnastics has season-highs at meet in New Hampshire

Posted: Saturday, March 8, 2014 11:23 pm

The positives are not bound to Durham, N.H. as Penn State defeated New Hampshire, Bridgeport and George Washington on Saturday.

With the three wins from Saturday, the Lions now have 18 wins, the most the program has seen in a single season since 2007, when the team posted 19 regular season victories. With another quad meet next weekend, the Lions have the chance to match or beat that record.

Penn State posted 197.200 points in its meet, the third highest overall score in school history. In addition, the Lions posted a 49.375 on balance beam and a 49.450 on vault, ranking fourth and sixth among the school’s high scores on beam and vault, respectively.

The team’s impressive overall score could not have been achieved without strong individual performances — and a lot of them.

On uneven bars, freshman Nicole Medvitz and senior Kassidy Stauder both scored 9.850, with Medvitz achieving her personal-best this season. The two also tied for first place on the event.

Later on, Stauder notched a 9.950 on beam, tying for the event title. Stauder’s continued strong showings and high scores also won her first place in the all-around competition, which is her third all-around victory this season.

Freshman Emma Sibson contributed a pair of career-highs, scoring a 9.975 on vault and a 9.900 on the floor event. Junior Sidney Sanabria-Robles added a 9.900 on vault and senior Lindsay Musgrove proved a career-best 9.925 on floor.

No. 19 Penn State returns to practice with an 18-2 record (3-1 Big Ten) where the Lions will begin to prepare for next weekend’s quad meet at No. 7 Michigan with Iowa and No. 12 Minnesota.

The Lions will need to upset two teams next weekend to place first in the competition. But if the Lions carry Saturday’s performance to their meet next weekend, a couple of upsets wouldn’t be so shocking.

Most Popular