Matt McGloin makes NFL regular season debut - The Daily Collegian: Sports

|
||

Matt McGloin makes NFL regular season debut

Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:50 pm

Matt McGloin's family was late to get into the house. Out at a birthday party for an extended family member, the quarterback's mother, Cathy McGloin, and his family turned on the TV and a little later saw Oakland Raiders starting quarterback Terrelle Pryor head to the locker room.

Pryor left Sunday's loss against the Eagles in the fourth quarter with a knee injury, giving the former Penn State passer an opportunity he and his family will never forget.

Just a few years ago, the former Nittany Lions signal caller battled with Rob Bolden for the starting job under center.

Tonight, McGloin made his NFL regular season debut with the Oakland Raiders, completing 7-of-15 passes for 87 yards. He also helped generate a touchdown drive for the Raiders as the game waned.

"I'm thrilled," McGloin's mom said. "I'm so happy for him. It's disbelief...We're proud of him. We know how hard he's worked."

McGloin, a Scranton native and Lions quarterback from 2009 to 2012, was reinvented as a quarterback last year under the guidance of Penn State coach Bill O'Brien, throwing for 3,271 yards and 24 touchdowns.

The former Lion latched on with Oakland in the offseason after going undrafted in April.

McGloin rose up the depth chart and serves as backup to former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Pryor left Sunday's game with a knee injury, giving McGloin an opportunity many thought would never happen.

But Cathy McGloin said she never had a doubt.

"I really didn't because I know that's what he always strived for. That was his dream and that was his wish," McGloin's mother said. "I know it's a hard road, but we've gotten used to that."

McGloin's mom also said while watching her son play in the NFL was more nerve-wracking than at Penn State, the journey to earning playing time is similar.

"It's a crazy ride, isn't it?" Cathy McGloin said. "It is like Penn State. Wait your turn, be patient, do your work, study hard, be prepared and when your chance comes, make the most of it."

McGloin's high school football coach at West Scranton, Mike DeAntona, was excited for his former player.

DeAntona said he, along with the West Scranton community, is proud of the quarterback's accomplishments.

"When you work hard, good things will happen to you," DeAntona said in a phone interview Sunday night. "It's a lesson for everybody, especially young high school players out there today. If you put the time and the effort into it, anything can happen."

DeAntona said McGloin's confidence is one of his best traits, and the signal caller is confident because he prepares for his opportunity — like the one McGloin had Sunday night.

And even though McGloin doesn't have typical NFL-level measureables, DeAntona said sometimes that numbers game isn't a perfect science.

"I've known Matty so long I was probably more nervous than he was," DeAntona said with a laugh. "He looked great. He looked like an NFL quarterback."